Youth-focused vax clinic opens at Century Gardens in Brampton
A youth-focused COVID-19 vaccine clinic is opening today at Century Gardens Recreation Centre.
The first of its kind in Peel, the Youth Pad is an interactive space that will provide Peel residents 12-17 years of age with a safe, comfortable and interactive space to receive their vaccine. All individuals 12-17 years of age will receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the only COVID-19 vaccine currently authorized for use in this age group. Youth have the option to receive their vaccine in the family-friendly space for the full duration of their visit.
Run by Williams Osler Health System, local pediatricians, family physicians and pharmacists will administer the COVID-19 vaccines. Osler will also offer a separate space for younger children who are accompanied by a family member or guardian. Also unique to the Youth Pad will be the Wellness Corner for those who may require time to step away from the vaccination space. Various games, colouring activities, a photo booth and music will all be a part of this youth-friendly vaccination experience.
The Youth Pad was developed with input and direction from local youth groups, including BAPS Charities Youth Group, South Asian COVID-19 Youth Task Force and This is Our Shot, to ensure the space reflects the unique needs of 12-17-year olds.
“Vaccination is key to ending the COVID-19 pandemic and the Youth Pad is yet another way of ensuring the vaccine is widely accessible to our community,” said Kiki Ferrari, chief operating officer, William Osler Health System. “Providing a unique, interactive space where our youth feel safe and comfortable is an important step in building vaccine confidence among our community’s youngest members and their families.”
Since Osler opened its COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic in December, it has administered more than 175,000 COVID-19 vaccinations, in alignment with the Ontario Government’s three-phased Vaccine Distribution Plan and Peel Public Health.
Century Gardens Recreations Centre is located at 360 Vodden St. E. and is open from 1 to 9 p.m. daily. The Youth Pad is open from 4:30 to 9 p.m. daily.
A key sponsor of the initiative is IKEA Canada.
- Walk-up mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinic opening for Hamilton youth needing 1st dose
- Youth 12 to 17 year-olds in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario eligible to move up second vaccine
- Hamilton expands youth COVID-19 vaccine program as city surpasses 333,000 doses
- Today Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario youth 12 to 17 can book earlier second vaccine
- Dose interval shortened for some as over 71 per cent of Hamilton adults, half of youth receive vaccine
- Ontario asking feds to ensure that Mississauga and Ontario residents with mixed doses can travel abroad
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton
- One year old girl pulled from backyard pool without vital signs in Burlington
- Oldest theatre in Mississauga is closing permanently
- Arrest follows armed robbery of retail location in Brampton earlier this month