York Region shares list of box stores fined over violations of COVID-19 rules
Enforcement of COVID-19 rules is ramping up in the Greater Toronto Area, with several big box retailers facing fines over alleged violations.
York Region shared a list of retailers fined over the last week for violations of Ontario's Reopening Ontario Act, among them major pharmacy and grocery locations.
Retailers are facing $880 individual fines for infractions that include not having a safety plan, inadequate cleaning, improper mask-wearing by employees and failing to post signage about the rules.
Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobeys and Costco locations are among those ticketed.
The details come amid a government-led enforcement blitz of retailers that is set to expand across the province over the coming weeks.
Labour Minister Monte McNaughton will give an update on the recent inspections at a news conference this morning.
- Ontario to expand big-box-retail blitz amid widespread rule violations
- COVID blitz of big box stores shows Brampton is behaving
- COVID-19 inspections to focus on warehouses, distribution centres in Peel Region
- Ontario announces blitz of big-box stores in Mississauga following declaration of stay at home order
- Retailers ask Ontario government to lift COVID restrictions they aren’t working
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- PHOTOS: A look inside a mass vaccination clinic in Mississauga
- UPDATE: Missing 13-year-old girl located in good health
- Oakville man caught speeding twice in 11 minutes
- Construction coming to busy GO Station and street to make way for Hurontario LRT in Mississauga