Working towards sustainability a key focus of Milton Town council this term
The Town of Milton wants to do more than just talk about sustainability. Councillors want to make it a key part of their everyday work.
And thanks to the 2023 Climate Change Work Plan that Milton Council endorsed a series of projects so these can be embedded into annual corporate work plans.
Projects build on 2022 initiatives, and include:
- Initiatives to prepare the Town for the future, such as the Milton Transit Master Plan, Transportation Master Plan, and Official Plan Review
- Innovative projects such as the Diesel-to-Electric Bus Conversion Pilot
- Updates to the Town’s Community and Corporate Energy plans
- Expanded efforts with partners on community activities and events
“Each day, Milton staff apply a sustainability lens to all work, whether it’s planning our community’s future growth, reviewing development applications, constructing and renovating our facilities to be energy efficient, or the many other related tasks,” said Andrew Siltala, Milton’s CAO.
“Milton continues to make a positive impact, in both acting daily and working towards the future to mitigate climate change.”
Since 2019, Milton has committed to incorporate sustainability principles into daily practices and longer-term plans. Important areas of focus for the Town include energy conservation, support for transit-friendly development, and creating walkable, complete communities.
Looking back on 2022, the Town made strides on sustainability that included:
- Solar panel installation at Sherwood Community Centre
- Community garden expansion at Sunny Mount Park
- Introduction of hybrid vehicles in the Town’s fleet
- Continued expansion of the urban forest
- Progress on the Town of Milton Fleet Strategy study
- Secured grant funding from other levels of government to support sustainability projects/studies
- Ongoing partnerships with community groups such as Sustainable Milton and Halton Environmental Network
“The Town of Milton takes seriously the role as a steward of the environment, as we focus on policies that support transit-oriented complete communities, preservation of natural and agricultural areas, and low-impact development,” said Milton Mayor Gord Krantz
Learn more about the Town’s environmental and sustainability initiatives by visiting here.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising