Women Accused of Stealing From Seniors in Retirement Home
Two women are facing charges following thefts from a retirement home in Brampton.
“Staff at nursing homes should be vigilant when there’s strangers entering the premises,” said Peel Regional Police Const. Bally Saini.
“Elderly people are more vulnerable.”
It began on June 4 at 7 p.m.
That’s when the pair - accompanied by three children and a cat- went to a retirement centre near Peel Centre Dr. and Central Parkway Dr.
They entered one of the units with an excuse to use the washroom.
An 80 year-old victim realized his wallet was stolen after they left.
The victim's debit card was then used to make several transactions.
The suspects and kids returned on June 17 between 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
The women convinced another resident to invite them into his unit, police allege, and after the parties left, the 83-year-old victim realized some of his property was stolen.
Two suspects were handcuffed on July 24.
Lucy Lakatos, 37, of Brampton, and Jackie Lakatos, 32, of Brampton, are facing two counts of theft, possession of stolen property, and multiple counts of fraud.
They appeared in Brampton court for a bail hearing on July 25.
Investigators believe there may be more victims.
Anyone with information is asked to contact 21 Division criminal investigation bureau at 905-453-2121, ext. 2133.
Anonymous tips may also be submitted by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), by visiting www.peelcrimestoppers.ca
Photos: Peel Regional Police handout
- Government of Canada Issues Travel Advisory for Mexico
- A Look at the Most Expensive and Cheapest Houses in Mississauga
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- This is Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- Government Updates Travel Advisory For Sri Lanka After Another Explosion
- Peel Police Nab 2 Violent Carjacking Suspects
- Two Men Facing 147 Criminal Charges Following Break-ins in Brampton and Mississauga
- Man Charged After Idling Car Stolen in Brampton
- Peel Police Recover Stolen Item and Locate Illicit Drugs
- Peel Police Seeking the Public’s Help Following Sexual Assaults in Mississauga and Brampton