Will the LCBO Deliver to Homes in Mississauga?
If there's an upside to Ontario's mounting debt, it's the easier access to archaically restricted booze.
Late last year, beer made its way into grocery stores. A few weeks ago, we learned that vino is going to grace supermarket shelves.
Now, it looks like the LCBO might be delivering celebratory libations right to your home. According to a recent article by MobileSyrup, the embattled Ontario government has revealed plans to improve (we think) the LCBO in its 2016 budget. It appears that the government will introduce Craft Beer Zones in the form of specialty stores that will sell international brews. More importantly, it looks like the Wynne Liberals will create an online store where customers can order alcohol for pickup or delivery.
The Liberal budget features this quote by Minister of Finance Charles Sousa: "The LCBO is moving forward by creating a best-in-class e-commerce open marketplace to enhance the consumer experience and provide more opportunities for suppliers. This platform will enable beverage alcohol producers, suppliers and agents from across Canada and around the world to list their products for sale on the LCBO's website, providing broader market access. It will provide consumers with access to a wider variety of products, as well as the flexibility to order online and pick up products in store or have them delivered to their home."
You can read the budget and relevant passages here.
While it appears the fine details aren't available yet, the news is sure to excite people who can scratch a trip to the LCBO off their pre-party to-do list. While LCBO locations are plentiful in Mississauga and some local grocery stores proffer beer, there's unbeatable convenience in a delivery system. This could be a boon to people planning parties. It could also benefit anyone who has realized, to his horror, that he's out of the rich cabernet sauvignon he was going to impress his sophisticated, discerning date with. Many a Sauga-based girl's night will be saved by easier (or at least lazier) access to chardonnay.
So, Mississauga, how do you feel? Are you excited to order some artisanal craft brews to your Game of Thrones viewing parties (assuming the program will roll out before 2017, of course!)?
- LCBO To Open 150 "Convenience Outlets" Across Ontario This Year
- LCBO Online Ordering System Faltering in Mississauga (and Beyond)
- Ontario Government Extending Beer Store and LCBO Hours in Mississauga
- LCBO stores to remain open during COVID-19 pandemic
- Beer Store and LCBO Release Civic Holiday Monday Hours in Mississauga
- 121 workers at Mississauga's Gateway postal facility test positive for COVID-19
- Subway can press $210-million defamation suit against CBC for show on chicken content
- York Region shares list of box stores fined over violations of COVID-19 rules
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga
- Man reportedly threatening to shoot people in building in Mississauga: Police