Which Neighbourhood Has the Best Internet Connection in Mississauga?
Your car may be fancier than your neighbour’s but how fast is your Internet speed? Based on the answer, you won’t necessarily have to move to Lorne Park to be the envy of Mississaugans.
A six-month pilot program is being launched by the City of Mississauga and the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) to test Internet performance around town.
"Studying our Internet performance will help improve the City's ability to deliver programs and services through technology," said director of information technology Shawn Slack.
"Reliable Internet service is crucial to the services residents depend on every day.”
Anyone can test the speed and quality of their Internet connections using an Internet browser on any computer or mobile device on the CIRA website.
The process is quick: By punching in a postal code and hitting start, ‘heat maps’ will show you how your friends, classmates, or colleagues' connections compare.
Connectivity is built into the cost of a package from Internet Service Providers (ISP) via your phone, Internet, or cable provider. Depending on who you’re with, speed and performance varies.
Test nodes are across Canada; CIRA's Internet performance test is built on the globally recognized M-Labs testing technology, and operates independently from any major Internet service provider network, ensuring unbiased measurements and data.
This pilot will help find the areas in Mississauga with adequate Internet service and identify which areas could be improved.
City staff will use the pilot's test data and crowdsourced data to analyze Internet performance across the city, and the heat-map will identify variations in the quality of internet performance and offer insight into the relationship between geography and connectivity.
Data will also be available by ward or neighbourhood.
Check out how your connection fares by clicking here.
- Do You Consider the Internet an Essential Service in Mississauga?
- Major Service Provider Hiking Prices on Internet Packages
- Another Major Company Raising Internet Prices Soon
- Clarington internet coverage hits 98 per cent
- Canada’s internet code of conduct goes into effect for 10 big service providers
- One year old girl pulled from backyard pool without vital signs in Burlington
- Oldest theatre in Mississauga is closing permanently
- The controversial aircraft built and destroyed in Mississauga
- $6 million Lotto 649 jackpot win went to an Ontario ticket holder
- Popular Hamilton pizza and pasta restaurant coming to Mississauga