Labour Day in Hamilton: What’s open and closed
Published September 5, 2021 at 10:54 pm
This year, Labour Day in Hamilton falls on Monday, September 6, 2021.
As for where the day comes from, it originally gave workers the chance to campaign for better working conditions and pay, but now it’s part of a long weekend to relax at the end of the summer.
With COVID-19 restrictions in place, some places that are usually open this long weekend might not be this year so whatever you’re planning to do, check and recheck to make sure you won’t be disappointed when you arrive at your destination.
One thing we know for sure is open is Tim Hortons Field for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats Labour Day Classic game against the Argos. For those wanting to attend the game but do not to deal with trying to find parking near the stadium, there are the Tiger-Cats Express Shuttles operating from Lime Ridge Mall, Eastgate Square and University Plaza. More information on the shuttles and their schedules can be found here.
Without further ado, here’s what’s open and closed in Hamilton on Labour Day 2021.
- Most municipal pools, spray pads
- Parks and conservation areas (though some areas — Dundas Peak/Tew Falls & Webster Falls — require reservations)
- Some Shoppers Drug Marts
- Some restaurants that are usually operational on Mondays will be open, but call ahead to be sure
- Movie theatres
- Splitsville Entertainment
- Six Beer Stores are open
- Most major grocery stores
- Civic museums
- Gage Park Greenhouse
- Government offices
- City Hall
- Community Centres
- Canada Post (no mail pickup or delivery)
- Garbage and recycling will be collected one day later
- Community Recycling Centres
- HSR will be running on a Sunday schedule
- DARTS will be operating holiday service hours on Monday, September 6. All subscription trips on DARTS, with the exception of dialysis, are cancelled for Monday, September 6. If passengers need to travel on this day, they must make a reservation up to 3 days in advance to do so. ATS customer service will be closed on Monday, September 6.
- GO Transit will run on a Sunday schedule