What’s open and closed on Canada Day in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Clarington and Pickering
Published July 1, 2022 at 1:28 am
This year, Canada Day in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Pickering, Clarington and Durham Region falls on Friday, July 1, 2022.
This Canada Day, unlike the past two years, will be similar to pre-pandemic times.
For the first time since 2019, there will be public events such as fireworks displays and while there are no longer bans on large gatherings, participants – especially those with immunocompromised family members – are asked to continue to exercise caution.
Residents can purchase fireworks for private celebrations as well.
Here’s what’s open and closed:
What’s open Canada Day:
- Pickering Town Centre will be closed, but its stand-alone restaurants (with patios), such as Moxies, Jack Astor’s, Pickle Barrel and East Side Mario’s will be open
- Oshawa Centre stores will also be closed, but restaurants with street-facing entrances (and patios), such as Baxter’s Landing, Kelsey’s and The Keg will be open
- Most Beer Stores will be closed but four stores will be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.:
Pickering (1355 Kingston Road)
Ajax (75 Kingston Road)
Whitby (3950 Brock St. N)
Oshawa (200 Ritson Rd. N)
- Shopper’s Drug Mart stores will be open. Most other drug stores will also be open
- Most restaurants that operate on holidays will be open, especially those that offer patio dining but call ahead to be sure
- Casinos in Durham Region (Pickering, Ajax and Blue Heron in Scugog) will be open
- Most cannabis dispensaries will be open.
- Most craft beer breweries will be open, including 5 Paddles (12-8), All or Nothing (11-7), Falcon (12-8), Little Beasts (12-9), Old Flame (11-10), as well as Town, Tilted Glass, Brock Street and New Ritual. Other breweries may be be open, some with reduced hours; call to confirm your brewery of choice is open
- Canadian Tire Motorsports Park in Clarington will be open for DriveTeq Track Day. The park will host a fireworks display on Saturday
- Lakeview Park Beach in Oshawa will be open (lifeguards will be on duty), as will most other public beaches
- Camp Samac outdoor pool in Oshawa will be open as will Ajax Memorial outdoor pool
- Parks and most Splash pads will be open
What’s closed Canada Day
- LCBO outlets will be closed
- Canada Post will be closed
- Walmart stores will be closed
- Most grocery stores will be closed
- Mid-Town Mall in Oshawa and Whitby Mall will be closed
Transit and municipal/regional services
- GO Trains, DRT and Pulse buses will be running on a holiday/weekend schedule
- Waste collection and recycling will be on a delayed holiday schedule
- Municipal offices will be closed
For the first time in three years there will be sanctioned fireworks displays at Oshawa (Lakeview Park 2-dusk); Ajax Downs (2-dusk); Pickering (Kinsmen Park Noon-10); Port Perry (Palmer Park starting at 9 a.m.) and Whitby (Victoria Fields 6:30 to sunset)insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies
Stay the know
Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today's top stories in your city!