What’s open and closed Canada Day in Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara Region
Published July 1, 2022 at 1:38 am
Canada Day in Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara Region falls on Friday July 1,
Canada Day is often referred to as Canada’s birthday, celebrating the July 1st, 1867 anniversary of the country’s confederation.
While that is true, the use of the word “birthday” is something of an oversimplification. Canada Day is the anniversary of only one important national milestone on the way to the country’s full sovereignty, namely the joining on July 1, 1867, of the colonies of Canada (Ontario and Quebec – Upper and Lower Canada at the time) with Nova Scotia and New Brunswick into a wider British federation of four provinces.
On that day, Canada became a “kingdom in its own right” within the British Empire commonly known as the “Dominion of Canada,” which is why Canada Day was known as Dominion Day until 1982 when a Private Members Bill changed it later that year.
So what’s open and what’s closed this coming Friday? Most of Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake businesses remain open as both the city and the town are designated as tourism destinations and thus can remain open on federal or provincial holidays.
The other 10 municipalities in Niagara, including St. Catharines and Welland, are mostly shut down. While some business are posting hours, other add “Hours may differ” because it’s a holiday. The best bet? Call ahead.
(For every business below, phone ahead as most are posting “Hours may differ”)
- Canada One in Niagara Falls
- SmartCentres in Niagara Falls
- Outlet Collection at Niagara in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Some smaller grocery stores, such as Rabba grocery stores
- There are over 60 Niagara-region wineries/vineyards and most will be open. Phone your favourite for times.
- Silversmith Brewing, 1523 Niagara Stone Rd
- Counterpart Brewing, 3659 Stanley Ave, Niagara Falls
- Bench Brewing, 3991 King St, Beamsville
- Lock Street Brewing, 15 Lock St, St. Catharines
- Niagara Oast House Brewing, 2017 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- The Exchange Brewery, 7 Queen St, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Cold Break Brewing, 193 St Paul St W, St. Catharines
- Niagara Brewing, 4915-A Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls
- Blackburn Brew House, 8001 Blackburn Pkwy, Niagara Falls
- Gretzky Estate Beer/Wine, 1219 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Most bars and restaurants
- Shoppers Drug Marts
- Movie theatres
- All Niagara Falls family-oriented tourist attractions but call ahead
- Select community centres and libraries but call ahead as a handful are posting that they are closed
Closed Canada Day:
- All City and Town Halls
- Federal and provincial government offices
- All municipal offices
- Most grocery stores are closed but call ahead to be sure
- The Pen Centre in St Catharines (Landmark Cinemas are open)
- Fairview Mall in St Catharines
- Briarfield Shopping Centre in St Catharines
- Pendale Plaza in St Catharines
- Seaway Mall in Welland
- SmartCentres in Welland and St Catharines
- Niagara College Teaching Brewery, 135 Taylor Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Dragan Brewing, 100 Grantham Ave S Unit 1, St. Catharine
- Most community centres and libraries but call ahead
- Canada Post (no mail pick up or delivery)
- Community Recycling Centres
- All LCBOs
- All Beer Stores
- City Hall
- Provincial government offices
- GO Transit will operate on a holiday schedule
- Transit services in St Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls will operate on holiday hours
- No garbage pick-up on Friday, July 1
Community Recycling Centres will be closed Friday
Stay the know
Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today's top stories in your city!