What's Open and Closed Boxing Day December 26 in Mississauga
It is called “Boxing Day” because, starting in medieval Britain, servants had a day off and would receive a gift box.
This year, Boxing Day falls on Saturday, Dec. 26, 2020. Because it falls on a weekend, some businesses and offices will treat Monday, Dec. 28 as a statutory holiday (so if you plan on going out on Dec. 28, call ahead to be sure your destination is open).
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some things that are typically open might be closed and there will be no major public events due to physical distancing restrictions.
Because Mississauga is currently in lockdown, social gatherings are prohibited and residents are asked to celebrate the holidays with members of their own household exclusively. People who live alone and single-parent families are permitted to join one other household for the holidays.
- Most major grocery stores, including Whole Foods Square One
- Walmart Supercentre at Square One
- Celebration Square Ice Rink
- Shoppers Drug Mart locations
- Square One Shopping Centre has closed all of its non-essential stores due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but some stores are open and some restaurants are offering takeout service
- The Food District at Square One is open for takeout only
- The Rec Room at Square One is open for food delivery
- Erin Mills Town Centre has closed all of its non-essential stores due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but some stores are open and some restaurants are offering takeout service
- Heartland Town Centre has closed all of its non-essential stores due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but some stores are open and some restaurants are offering takeout service
- Dixie Outlet Mall has closed all of its non-essential stores due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but some stores are open and some restaurants are offering takeout service
- Non-essential stores at the Mississauga Chinese Centre are closed due to the pandemic
- Other major malls that have closed all non-essential stores include Toronto Premium Outlets, Bramalea City Centre, Sherway Gardens, Vaughan Mills, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Eaton Centre and Pacific Mall
- LCBO stores will be closed on Dec. 26 and open on Dec. 28
- Most Beer Store locations will be closed on Dec. 26 and open on Dec. 28. Beer Store locations that will be open on Dec. 26 (Boxing Day) include stores located at 3154 Hurontario St. (11 am to 5 pm), 6780 Town Centre Circle (11 am to 5 pm) and 420 Lakeshore Rd. E. (11 am to 5 pm)
- Government offices (including City Hall) will be closed on both Dec. 26 and Dec. 28.
- Banks (Dec. 26 and 28)
- Libraries (Dec. 26)
- Community Centres (which are mostly closed to the public due to the pandemic)
- Movie theatres are closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Canada Post (no mail pickup or delivery) on Dec. 26 or Dec. 28
- There is no change to garbage and recycling collection this year
- Mississauga Transit/MiWay will operate on a holiday schedule from Dec. 21, 2020, to Jan. 3, 2021
- GO Transit will run on a Saturday schedule on Dec. 26 and will offer its regular weekday service on Dec. 28
- These Square One stores are still open amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- These stores are still open at Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- What's CLOSED and OPEN during lockdown in Mississauga
- LCBO stores to remain open during COVID-19 pandemic
- LCBO stores to be closed one day a week amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot
- Roadway shut down after pedestrian struck by vehicle, seriously injured in Mississauga
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- 49 fines issued for travellers refusing COVID-19 test at Mississauga's Pearson Airport; Peel police won't issue further fines
- House of the Week: $2.2 mil Sheridan home with stunning backyard