What You Need to Know About Getting Married in Mississauga


Published August 20, 2019 at 8:08 pm


Some say wedding season peaks in the summer and they’re not wrong, but people marry all year round and many couples choose to tie the knot in Mississauga.

So whether you just got engaged or are actively planning a wedding, you should know that Mississauga offers both classic and eclectic venues that you might not know about. You can also begin the marriage process–such as procuring a licence–in the city. 

So, what’s the first step after engagement?

As with any marriage in Ontario, an Ontario Marriage Licence is required. Couples can apply to the City of Mississauga for a licence by completing an application form online. After applying, they can pick up their licence at the City Clerk’s office (located on the second floor of the Civic Centre at 300 City Centre, Dr.). 

What can you expect when applying for a marriage licence?

According to the city, the application form must be completed with both applicants information with original signatures (no electronic or scanned copies) and submitted with original identification to the office of the City Clerk.

Two original forms of identification are required for each applicant.

At least one of the applicants must arrive in person to obtain the marriage licence.

Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age require parental consent. If you want to apply for a marriage licence but do not understand English or French, you must bring an interpreter. The interpreter will be required to provide appropriate identification and complete a declaration.

The licence fee is $140, and it’s subject to change without notice. It’s payable by cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard or American Express.

An Ontario marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months or 89 days from the date of issue. There is no waiting period to be married once the licence is issued.

If your licence is lost, damaged or allowed to expire, you cannot get a refund and will have to purchase a new one.

Once you have a licence, it’s time to pick a venue. 

If you’re on a budget, you can book a civil marriage ceremony. Civil ceremonies (non-religious) are provided by the City Clerk’s office and held in the Civic Centre chapel or the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Garden outside the Civic Centre. Ceremonies are offered Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (last ceremony starts at 3:30 p.m.).

If you’re looking to hold a wedding reception, Mississauga boasts a number of facilities that can fit a range of budget and other requirements.

For full-service offerings, the C Banquets and BraeBen Golf Course facilities offer onsite wedding ceremonies, customized menu and bar options, complimentary parking and audio visual, along with an onsite coordinator to make sure the wedding runs smoothly. 

C Banquets, located in City Hall, towers 12 stories above downtown Mississauga and features floor to ceiling windows that showcase panoramic views of the city.

C Banquets

BraeBen also offers floor-to-ceiling windows with a 180-degree view of the fairways and hills.

BraeBen Golf Club

For more budget-friendly or intimate options, you can book one of the many community centres, museums or historic halls that offer room rentals. 

If you’re looking for something off the beaten path, you might be interested to host your nuptials at the city’s newest cultural facility, the Small Arms Inspection Building. The new art hub provides a unique open-concept industrial space, so your wedding will be memorable and one-of-a-kind. 

These facilities allow you to provide your own catering and décor (depending on the location, tables and chairs are set up by the facility and clean-up is done by city staff), so they’re perfect for the DIY bride and groom. 

Small Arms Inspection Building

To learn more about renting a city facility for a wedding, click here.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising