What to do if an injury puts you out of work in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario
Published September 26, 2022 at 3:15 pm
It’s a scary situation to think about: What happens if an injury or disability (such as from a car accident) puts you out of work? How do you make sure you’re still receiving the income you need?
Disability insurance may be available to employees who pay into a benefit plan, or who are fortunate enough to have disability benefits through their employer – but it’s not always that easy.
For help on receiving the insurance you’re entitled to, Mississauga law firm TSF Law is ready to assist.
The firm, which serves all of Ontario including Peel, helps its clients access crucial benefits related to short-term and long-term disability – which is particularly valuable if a provider tries to deny you those benefits (for example, deciding that your disability is not severe enough to prevent you from working).
“If you are unsure about what to do about your claim following a denial, consult a disability lawyer. Disability lawyers at TSF Law offer free strategy sessions and handle your case without taking fees until it settles,” says the law firm.
TSF Law outlines 5 main steps to follow if you’ve been denied short-term or long-term disability benefits:
1. Seek the assistance and support of your family doctor. They will provide you with the advice and treatment you need to feel better and get back to work as soon as possible.
2. Try applying for other private or governmental benefit programs you may be entitled to, such as the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPPD) or the Income Replacement Benefit (IRB) if your disability was caused by a car accident.
3. Don’t appeal your denied disability claim. These insurance appeals are usually unsuccessful and may end up being a source of frustration.
4. Consult a disability law firm like TSF Law. You may lose your right to sue if you wait too long to speak with a lawyer or appeal your claim.
5. Don’t get angry and lose your temper with your employer or your long-term disability claims representative. This is an emotional time for you, but disrespecting the claims representative will not lead to a better outcome.
The team at TSF Law has years of experience in disability law and litigation. They will ensure you are properly represented through every step of the process.
TSF Law is founded by Terio Francis, a personal injury lawyer who grew up in Mississauga. As a victim of a car accident himself, Terio understands firsthand the confusion, uncertainty, and anxiety that comes with trying to regain a sense of normalcy after being injured. That’s why he founded TSF Law, to help people access quality and trusted legal services following a car accident or disability insurance claim denial.
He studied law at the Schulich School of Law at the University of Dalhousie in Nova Scotia, and went on to practice with a boutique personal injury firm, gaining substantial litigation experience.
Terio has since appeared before the Superior Court of Justice, the License Appeal Tribunal, arbitrated at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, and has successfully resolved hundreds of cases.
TSF Law has received numerous testimonials from clients who appreciated the firm’s personalized, trustworthy, and reliable approach to providing legal services.
Injured and trying to access denied disability benefits? Whether your injuries are catastrophic or not quite as severe, contact TSF Law for a free strategy session.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies