WestJet temporarily canceling flights to certain destinations
The WestJet Group announced it will be temporarily halting service to several destinations at the behest of the Government of Canada.
“The government asked, and we agreed,” Ed Sims, president and CEO of WestJet President, said in a news release.
“While we know that air travel is responsible for less than two per cent of cases since the start of the crisis, and even less today, we recognize the Government of Canada’s ask is a precautionary measure. We also note that the overwhelming majority of quarantine exemptions, well over 90 per cent in fact, are connected to land borders and not air travel. We have responded to their request and will suspend service to destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean," he continued.
As of Sunday (January 31), WestJet will suspend operation to a host of destinations until the end of April.
As per the announcement, the following flights will no longer be available:
Toronto - Cancun, Mexico
Toronto - Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Toronto - Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Toronto - Kingston, Jamaica
Toronto - Montego Bay, Jamaica
Toronto - Liberia, Costa Rica
Toronto - Varadero, Cuba
Toronto - Saint Lucia
Toronto - Saint Marten
Toronto - Nassau, Bahamas
Toronto - Bermuda
“The pandemic has had devastating impacts on our hard-working people, and they have made tremendous sacrifices throughout,” Sims said.
“The government recognizes how uniquely hard our industry has been hit and has acknowledged our efforts to curb the spread of the virus. We note their words of support for our airline as a strong partner in the fight against COVID-19," he added.
- Police responding to male with firearm in Mississauga convenience store
- Roadway shut down after pedestrian struck by vehicle, seriously injured in Mississauga
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules