Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Mississauga
A weather warning is in effect for Mississauga today (Saturday, July 11).
Environment Canada says weather conditions are favourable today and into the evening for the development of funnel clouds, which in rare cases may develop into a landspout tornado.
Funnel clouds have been reported over Niagara Region late this morning, and a waterspout was reported over Lake Nipissing.
“These types of funnel clouds are generated by weak rotation under rapidly growing clouds or weak thunderstorms,” said Environment Canada.
“This weak rotation is normally not a danger near the ground. However, there is a chance that this rotation could intensify and become a weak landspout tornado.”
Funnel clouds usually appear with little or no warning.
Residents are advised to take funnel cloud sightings seriously and prepare to take shelter if one develops nearby.
- HBC sues landlord of Square One, Yorkdale claiming failure to run ‘first class’ malls
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Ontario player wins Saturday’s $14.2 million Lotto 649 jackpot
- Region providing money to residents who want to build basement apartments in Mississauga
- Public Health says Mississauga and Brampton officially experiencing second wave of COVID-19 as new cases surpass 200 for second day in a row