Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Mississauga
A weather warning is in effect for Mississauga today (Saturday, July 11).
Environment Canada says weather conditions are favourable today and into the evening for the development of funnel clouds, which in rare cases may develop into a landspout tornado.
Funnel clouds have been reported over Niagara Region late this morning, and a waterspout was reported over Lake Nipissing.
“These types of funnel clouds are generated by weak rotation under rapidly growing clouds or weak thunderstorms,” said Environment Canada.
“This weak rotation is normally not a danger near the ground. However, there is a chance that this rotation could intensify and become a weak landspout tornado.”
Funnel clouds usually appear with little or no warning.
Residents are advised to take funnel cloud sightings seriously and prepare to take shelter if one develops nearby.
- This Mississauga neighbourhood has one of the highest COVID-19 percent positivity rates in Ontario
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Boeing 737 Max's very first flight after two deadly crashes takes off from Pearson
- Paramedics responding after vehicle crashes into Mississauga residence
- New Jollibee restaurant opens at Square One in Mississauga
- New COVID-19 case reported at Shoppers Drug Mart in Mississauga