Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Mississauga
A weather warning is in effect for Mississauga today (Saturday, July 11).
Environment Canada says weather conditions are favourable today and into the evening for the development of funnel clouds, which in rare cases may develop into a landspout tornado.
Funnel clouds have been reported over Niagara Region late this morning, and a waterspout was reported over Lake Nipissing.
“These types of funnel clouds are generated by weak rotation under rapidly growing clouds or weak thunderstorms,” said Environment Canada.
“This weak rotation is normally not a danger near the ground. However, there is a chance that this rotation could intensify and become a weak landspout tornado.”
Funnel clouds usually appear with little or no warning.
Residents are advised to take funnel cloud sightings seriously and prepare to take shelter if one develops nearby.
- Police investigating after body found in storage facility in Mississauga
- Police hoping to identify man who reversed into a woman in Mississauga
- Face-coverings now required in common areas of condos and apartment buildings in Mississauga
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Potential explosion in mental illness could last years after pandemic: study