WARNING: Debit Card Fraud In Taxi Cabs in Mississauga
Peel Police have issued a warning over debit card fraud in taxi cabs in Mississauga.
Investigators from the Peel Regional Police Fraud Bureau have arrested and charged three men concerning a case of debit card fraud in taxis across Mississauga and Brampton.
Several cases were investigated involving debit card fraud targeting taxi riders in the GTA.
Victims have reported providing their debit card for payment, which is then allegedly switched with a compromised and maxed out debit card from the same bank belonging to another victim.
The victims only realized their card was switched once they exited the taxi.
All taxis involved in the incidents were flagged down and not dispatched.
On Friday, August 9, Mohsin Chaudhary, 24, was charged with six counts of Fraud Under $5,000.00, seven counts of Possess Credit Card Data and seven counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
Muhammad Khan, 20, was charged with Fraud under $5,000 and Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
Shais Ejaz,22, was charged with Fraud Under $5,000.
All three men will appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton.
Investigators suggest that users of taxi cabs always keep their debit cards in their possession and note down the taxi number and company.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Fraud Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3335.
Information may also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or by visiting peelcrimestoppers.ca.
- Mississauga Rock Band Speaks Out Against Doug Ford Government
- Power Outage Affecting More Than a Thousand Mississauga Residents This Evening
- Major Changes Planned For Services Covered by OHIP
- Mississauga Man Charged After Allegedly Hitting and Dragging Police Officer with Vehicle
- A Huge Sidewalk Sale is Happening at Heartland Town Centre in Mississauga
- Mississauga Man Facing 54 Charges of Credit Card Fraud
- Mississauga Man Charged with Multiple Counts of Theft and Fraud
- Police Warn Residents to Beware of Serious and Ongoing Taxi Scam in Mississauga
- Police Looking for Suspect in Connection With Theft and Fraud Investigation in Mississauga
- Mississauga Couple Charged in Connection with Enormous Fraud