Want to See Very Cool Art in Mississauga?
With Nuit Blanche set to hit Toronto this weekend, it's important to remember that spectacular and evocative art exists right here at home (and you don't have to wander for hours in the cold to enjoy it).
This fall, the Art Gallery of Mississauga (AGM) is presenting two stunning exhibitions and they're more than worth checking out (especially as the cooling temperatures push more of us inside).
Earlier this month, Ed Pien's Shadowed Land and Mary Ma's Eclipse exhibits kicked off at the gallery and will run until January 1, 2017.
Ed Pien is a relatively local artist who is currently based in Toronto. Born in Taipai, Taiwan, he has been drawing for close to 30 years and has exhibited at the Victoria and Albert museum in London, The Goethe Institute in Berlin and the AGO.
Shadowed Land boasts new installation and video work in which Pien explores notions of sense memory and the difficulty inherent in representing traumatic histories and loss. His exhibit is ambitious, combining photography, video, sound, light and kinetic installations. The work is inspired by Pien's interest in concepts of disappearance and haunting and "probes ideas of being implicated, bearing witness, loss, mourning, resilience and empathy."
It's all heavy material, but it should spur some unique discussion.
If you're interested in learning more about Pien's process, you might want to check out his artist talk this Thursday (Sept. 29) at 6:30 p.m. at the gallery. There will also be a catalogue launch and panel discussion on Thursday, Nov. 24 at 7:00 p.m. Pien will also be leading a workshop on Saturday, Oct. 22 from 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Mary Ma's video-based installation, Eclipse, is designed to evoke the seductive appeal of both celestial and terrestrial bodies (sounds creative!) and the "otherworldly, transformative aspects of our interactions with the stars and bodies of water."
Ma is actually an emerging artist from Mississauga who uses video projection and large scale and immersive installations to pull viewers into the art. She has exhibited in multiple galleries and public art festivals throughout Canada and the U.S. and is actually a Nuit Blanche alumnus.
So, if you're in the mood for high art with engaging elements, be sure to check out the AGM soon.
Cover photo from the AGM, courtesy of artist Ed Pien (“Over and Over”)
- 14-Year-Old Arrested After Threat Made Against Mississauga High School
- Ontario Residents Warned to Avoid Certain Types of Lettuce Following Illness Outbreak
- Mississauga Set to Welcome $40 Million Park
- Get Ready for Some Brutally Cold Weather in Mississauga
- Black Friday Shopping is Easier Than Ever Before in Mississauga
- Exciting Nuit Blanche-Type Festival Coming to Mississauga For First Time Ever
- What's Happening in Mississauga's Art World?
- Mississauga Hip Hop Artist Junia-T Drops a New Video
- Arts in Mississauga: Photography Gallery Event
- VIDEO: Police Discover Two Bodies After Recovering Car Driven by Oakville Brothers in Mississauga