VIDEO: Ontario Police Using Public Transit to Catch Distracted Drivers
Ontario police have begun using a new method to catch distracted drivers: riding public transit.
A video recently posted by the National Post (seen below) shows this strategy in action. Sergeant Mark Von Wolde rides aboard a VIVA bus in York Region, looking out the window for any distracted drivers he sees and reporting their vehicle information.
“We can’t be everywhere at all times but if we’re able to make these observations on these main roadways, we know that the message will get out there,” Von Wolde says in the video. “I think in bringing in the public, bringing in our community partners, that will allow us to work together to ultimately lower the amount of distracted driving that’s out there.”
While he acknowledges that not everybody will think this method is fair, he believes it’s a necessary way to catch unsuspecting drivers without alerting them to the presence of a police car.
So unless you want to see yourself paying a nasty fine for distracted driving, make sure to drive safely at all times! You can also check here for more information on what constitutes distracted driving.
- Canada's Wonderland is Building Longest, Fastest, Highest Roller-Coaster for 2019
- One of the Tallest Buildings in Canada is coming to Mississauga
- Major New Park Officially Opens in Mississauga
- What are the Oldest Neighbourhoods in Mississauga?
- Major Transit Closure Coming Due to LRT Construction in Mississauga