VIDEO: Officer Seriously Injured After Collision in Mississauga
An officer with the Ontario Provincial Police was seriously injured today following a collision that occurred during the investigation of a previous collision in Mississauga.
The OPP’s traffic division reported at 3:17 p.m. that they were on scene for a crash on Highway 407 eastbound after Mavis.
Peel police officers and paramedics attended the scene as well.
While the investigation was ongoing, another vehicle slammed into an OPP vehicle that was stopped on the side of the road, causing severe damage, OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt reports.
The officer inside was trapped in his vehicle until he was later extricated by emergency services. He is currently in the hospital with serious injuries.
“This is what I never want to see,” Schmidt says. “The officer involved here is a seasoned, experienced officer — someone who I would consider a friend — and to see something like this is very upsetting for everybody involved.”
Police took the other driver into custody. No charges have been laid at this time.
Highway 407 eastbound at Highway 401 has been shut down for the time being.
Photos and video courtesy of Sgt. Kerry Schmidt @OPP_HSD
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- This is Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- 5 “Haunted” Conspiracy Theories That Exist In Mississauga
- What's Open and Closed Easter Weekend in Mississauga
- UPDATE on CLOSURE: Popular Japanese/Korean Restaurant in Mississauga Closed for Health Violations
- Suspect Vehicle Located, Driver Missing After Officer Injured in Crash This Morning
- VIDEO: Police Investigating After Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on 401
- Police Officer Injured During Stolen Vehicle Investigation in Mississauga
- OPP Officer Struck by Vehicle on Hwy 403 in Mississauga
- Male Arrested in Connection to Officer Struck by Vehicle