VIDEO: Officer Seriously Injured After Collision in Mississauga
An officer with the Ontario Provincial Police was seriously injured today following a collision that occurred during the investigation of a previous collision in Mississauga.
The OPP’s traffic division reported at 3:17 p.m. that they were on scene for a crash on Highway 407 eastbound after Mavis.
Peel police officers and paramedics attended the scene as well.
While the investigation was ongoing, another vehicle slammed into an OPP vehicle that was stopped on the side of the road, causing severe damage, OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt reports.
The officer inside was trapped in his vehicle until he was later extricated by emergency services. He is currently in the hospital with serious injuries.
“This is what I never want to see,” Schmidt says. “The officer involved here is a seasoned, experienced officer — someone who I would consider a friend — and to see something like this is very upsetting for everybody involved.”
Police took the other driver into custody. No charges have been laid at this time.
Highway 407 eastbound at Highway 401 has been shut down for the time being.
Photos and video courtesy of Sgt. Kerry Schmidt @OPP_HSD
- UPDATE: One Person Dead Following Serious Multi-Vehicle Highway Crash in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Police Investigating After Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on 401
- Suspect Vehicle Located, Driver Missing After Officer Injured in Crash This Morning
- PHOTOS: Vehicle Travelling Wrong Way Involved in Fatal Crash in Mississauga
- OPP Officer Struck by Vehicle on Hwy 403 in Mississauga
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at ICU in Mississauga Hospital
- COVID-19 numbers in Peel Region continue downward trend
- Almost all illegal guns coming into Mississauga and Brampton are from the U.S.
- Employee of Mississauga No Frills tests positive for COVID-19