VIDEO: Anti-Immigration Activist Insults MPP at Muslimfest in Mississauga
Video is circulating on social media after Gurratan Singh, Brampton MPP and brother of NDP leader Jagmeet Singh, was confronted and insulted by anti-immigration activist Stephen Garvey.
The incident happened at Muslimfest 2019, a two-day event which ran at Celebration Square on August 31 and September 1 to celebrate Muslim culture and entertainment.
The video shows Garvey approaching Singh and asking him accusatory questions about Islam, Sharia Law, and challenging him to a debate, among other things.
“You’re full of political correctness,” Garvey is heard saying. “I despise people like you.”
Wow. Incredible vid captures Brampton MPP @gurratansingh & NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh’s brother, facing down a racist hater spewing Islamophobia at #Muslimfest2019. “I condemn your racism.” pic.twitter.com/0MdWKzzrJv— Mohammed Hashim (@mohashim) September 2, 2019
Stephen Garvey is the leader of a group called the National Citizens Alliance, which calls for strict changes to immigration including restricting or suspending immigration from countries “prone to terrorism and/or values, beliefs counter to our civil rights and liberties.”
According to an article from The Guardian, Garvey is also running in the upcoming federal election in the Nova Scotia riding of Cumberland-Colchester, despite living in Calgary.
Garvey himself uploaded a video to his Facebook page showing him attending the event and confronting Singh (confrontation starts around the seven minute mark).
Singh recently took to Twitter to comment on the incident, saying that he was taught by Jagmeet Singh to always confront racism.
“I will always stand with my Muslim brothers and sisters and say hate is wrong,” he wrote.
My brother @theJagmeetSingh taught me to always confront racism.— Gurratan Singh (@GurratanSingh) September 2, 2019
I will never respond to an Islamophobe by stating, "I am not a Muslim".
Instead, I will always stand with my Muslim brothers and sisters and say hate is wrong . https://t.co/MaBPc3sBb1
Video and cover photo courtesy of Mohammed Hashim on Twitter
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Jagmeet Singh Told He Should Cut Turban Off to 'Look More Canadian'
- Jagmeet Singh Officially Sworn In as MP in Ottawa
- BREAKING: Jagmeet Singh Wins Crucial Burnaby By-election
- NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh Announces Plan to Establish Living Wage for Minimum Wage Workers
- Has Jagmeet Singh As NDP Leader Been A Total Flop?
- Mississauga has an interactive map for coyote sightings
- Mississauga residents reminded to properly dispose of certain household goods
- Mississauga high school teacher charged with sexual assault
- 165 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, nine new cases found in Mississauga
- Mississauga man celebrating Poker Lotto win