VIDEO: A Vintage Peek at Square One in Mississauga in the 1980s
If there’s one thing every single Mississauga resident has in common, it’s an all-encompassing love for Square One, the vast shopping centre that first opened its doors in 1973.
Square One is part and parcel of the Mississauga experience and for good reason—the ever-evolving retail hotspot (which recently welcomed Uniqlo, Indigo, The Rec Room and The Food District) is the largest shopping centre in Ontario.
It’s also one of the most beloved among shoppers.
According to the recently released Canadian Shopping Centre Study 2018, a study carried about by the Retail Council of Canada (RCC), Square One is quite profitable.
Of the top 30 shopping centres in Canada by sales per square foot, Square One comes in at number 6. According to the study, the mall pulls in $1,086.78 per square foot, making it one of the most profitable shopping centres in the country.
The same study reveals that Square One attracts 23 million people a year.
But while the shopping centre is hugely popular now, it’s always been a hotspot—and a video posted on Retronatio’s Instagram page shows that.
The video, which is amazing, shows a young child in a cowboy hat riding a mechanical horse, the best in flamboyant 80s fashion (including some pretty dope multi-coloured eyeshadow), an aquarium, a cooly lit shot of people in gold jackets being served champagne and someone drinking a smoothie.
There is nothing more 80s than this commercial, and it’s probably one of the most fun wayback playbacks you’ll find on Instagram.
Did you shop at Square One in 1987?
- Brand New Report Shares Interesting Information About Square One in Mississauga
- Interesting Recently Released Facts About Square One
- An Exciting Four-Day Shopping Event is Coming to Square One
- Unique Shopping Event Coming to Square One for a Limited Time Only
- Your Holiday Shopping Guide to Square One in Mississauga
- Film and television studio opening third location in Mississauga
- Here are all the places that now require masks or face coverings in Mississauga
- Justin Trudeau speaks out about racist tirade at Mississauga grocery store, police say they’re investigating
- Police investigating reports of man trying to enter occupied cars in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Anti-masker's racist rant in Mississauga grocery store