Victoria Day May 22 in Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Welland: What’s Open and Closed
Published May 22, 2023 at 7:00 am
Why does the majority of Canada celebrate Queen Victoria’s birthday, which fell on May 24, every year by getting the day off?
Well, Victoria Day has been observed in Canada since at least 1845 and has always been a distinctly Canadian observance. No other country in the world celebrates her birthday, including Great Britain.
In Canada, the May 24 weekend has often been considered the beginning of the summer season. Cottages are aired out and opened, and camping trips are planned.
It falls on the Monday between the 18th and the 24th (inclusive), so in this year’s case, it’s May 22 – this coming Monday.
So what’s open and what’s closed this coming Monday? Most of Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake businesses remain open as both the city and the town are designated as tourism destinations and thus can remain open on federal or provincial holidays.
The other 10 municipalities in Niagara, including St. Catharines and Welland, are mostly shut down. While some businesses are posting hours, others add “Hours may differ” because it’s a holiday. The best bet? Call ahead.
(For every business below, phone ahead as most are posting “Hours may differ”)
- Canada One in Niagara Falls
- SmartCentres in Niagara Falls
- Outlet Collection at Niagara in Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Some smaller grocery stores, such as Rabba grocery stores
- There are over 60 Niagara-region wineries/vineyards and most will be open. Phone your favourite for times.
- Silversmith Brewing, 1523 Niagara Stone Rd
- Counterpart Brewing, 3659 Stanley Ave, Niagara Falls
- Bench Brewing, 3991 King St, Beamsville
- Lock Street Brewing, 15 Lock St, St. Catharines
- Niagara Oast House Brewing, 2017 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- The Exchange Brewery, 7 Queen St, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Cold Break Brewing, 193 St Paul St W, St. Catharines
- Niagara Brewing, 4915-A Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls
- Blackburn Brew House, 8001 Blackburn Pkwy, Niagara Falls
- Gretzky Estate Beer/Wine, 1219 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Bars and restaurants
- Shoppers Drug Marts
- Movie theatres
- All Niagara Falls family-oriented tourist attractions but call ahead
Closed Victoria Day Monday:
- All City and Town Halls
- Federal and provincial government offices
- All municipal offices
- Most grocery stores are closed but call ahead to be sure
- The Pen Centre in St Catharines (Landmark Cinemas are open)
- Fairview Mall in St Catharines
- Briarfield Shopping Centre in St Catharines
- Pendale Plaza in St Catharines
- Seaway Mall in Welland
- SmartCentres in Welland and St Catharines
- Niagara College Teaching Brewery, 135 Taylor Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Dragan Brewing, 100 Grantham Ave S Unit 1, St. Catharine
- Most community centres and libraries but call ahead
- Canada Post (no mail pick up or delivery)
- Community Recycling Centres
- All LCBOs
- All Beer Stores
- City Hall
- Provincial government offices
- GO Transit will operate on a Saturday schedule
- Transit services in St Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls will operate on holiday hours
- There will be garbage pick-up on Mon., May 22 (all waste collection will be one day later than usual)
Community Recycling Centres will be closed Monday