Utility company warning Mississauga residents to beware of sophisticated phone scam
Although many people know to be suspicious of strange callers who purport to be from banks, telecom companies, and the Canada Revenue Agency, not everyone realizes that scammers are impersonating utility company employees.
In response to an increase of fraudulent activity in its service territory, Alectra Utilities—which serves Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton, and other cities—is alerting customers of a sophisticated phone scam.
Alectra says the phone scam involves customers receiving a phone call from fraudsters requesting immediate payment over the phone.
If you get a call requesting immediate payment and threatening disconnection, you are advised to hang up and contact Alectra directly.
Alectra says customers receiving these suspicious phone calls are reminded of the following:
- Never make a payment for a charge that isn't listed on your most recent Alectra Utilities bill
- Do not provide any personal information, including your Alectra Utilities bill or account number
Alectra asks customers to remain vigilant and verify their account information with Alectra Utilities' Customer Care Representatives directly if they suspect suspicious activity
If you believe you may be a victim of fraud or theft, you can contact the Canadian Anti-fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 and Alectra to report the incident.
- Utility company that serves Mississauga warns of increased phone scam activity
- A New Phone Scam is Targeting Mississauga Residents
- SCAM ALERT: Utility companies urge customers to be vigilant ahead of holidays
- People Warned to Beware of Scam Targeting Mississauga Residents
- Alectra Utilities says it will offer financial flexibility during COVID-19 outbreak
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- Mississauga grocery store worker tests positive for COVID-19
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- BREAKING: Ontario reporting new high of over 1,000 new COVID-19 cases today
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at long-term care home in Mississauga