UPDATE: SIU investigating one subject officer and nine witness officers in fatal Mississauga shooting
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is continuing to investigate after a police-involved shooting on Saturday left one man dead.
Around 5:00 p.m. on June 20, tactical and K9 officers attended an apartment unit at 3425 Morningstar Drive in Malton to check on the well-being of a 62 year old man in crisis.
The man barricaded himself inside the unit, and officers were able to communicate with him for a period of time.
Shortly after communication stopped, officers breached the door and entered the unit. During an interaction with the man, an officer discharged his firearm at him multiple times.
"An interaction occurred which included officers deploying a conducted energy weapon at the man, as well as firing plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield,” according to the SIU. “When these had no effect, an officer discharged a firearm and the man was struck.”
He was pronounced dead at the scene at 8:38 p.m.
At the request of the family, the SIU is not releasing the man’s name.
Investigators have interviewed witnesses and completed a canvass of the area, obtaining evidence and video footage.
“From the scene, SIU investigators collected a police-issued firearm, a conducted energy weapon and an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield, as well as evidence associated with those use of force options. A knife was also recovered from the scene,” said the SIU.
Six investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. One subject officer and nine witness officers, all from Peel Regional Police, have been designated in this incident.
A post-mortem of the victim is expected to be conducted tomorrow (Monday, June 22) in Toronto.
“The SIU is working diligently to ensure the investigation is concluded, and its findings released, as expeditiously as possible. Until such time, we ask for the public's continued patience, and to avoid making any premature conclusions.”
Anyone with further information is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Male in distress leads to fatal police-involved shooting in Mississauga
- Peel police officer refusing to be interviewed by SIU following shooting death of Mississauga man in crisis
- Investigation into police-involved shooting of woman in Mississauga almost complete: SIU
- Mayor says police budget will be viewed through “different lens” after officers shoot man in crisis in Mississauga
- SIU Officers Investigating Shooting and Manhunt in Mississauga
- Elementary school classes set to be reorganized in Mississauga
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of September 14 to 19
- OPINION: Mississauga anti-maskers event doing more harm than good
- Deceased male located near creek in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Ontario rolls back social gathering limits in response to rising COVID-19 cases