UPDATE - Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project
At today's General Committee meeting an update was provided on the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (LRT) project, the largest infrastructure project in the City's history. Metrolinx, the Ontario Provincial Government agency responsible for implementing and integrating regional transit in the Greater Toronto Area is leading the procurement and construction of the project with the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga as partners.
"We are working with our partners to bring much needed rapid transit to Hurontario," said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. "This project is a city building game changer for Mississauga that will offer residents a new and convenient way to travel and ensure the Hurontario corridor grows in a sustainable way."
"The City is currently negotiating a Memorandum of Agreement with Metrolinx that provides an overall operating framework between the parties and sets the stage for future agreements," said City Manager and Chief Administrative Officer Janice Baker. "Metrolinx intends to own, operate and maintain the Hurontario Light Rail Transit system. The City will be expected to subsidize operating costs that benefit local transit users. Working together, we will determine this level of detail through a future final Master Agreement process."
The project update included plans to create a Hurontario LRT Ad Hoc Council Working Group composed of Mayor Bonnie Crombie and Councillors most impacted by the project including, Jim Tovey - Councillor Ward 1, John Kovac - Councillor Ward 4, Carolyn Parrish - Councillor Ward 5 and Nando Iannicca - Councillor Ward 7.
"The working group is to keep members of Council advised of project developments," said Joe Perrotta Director, Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project Office. "It will include City of Mississauga and Metrolinx staff and consultant representatives as required. Matters requiring decisions or further input will come forward to General Committee."
City of Mississauga staff is coordinating efforts with Metrolinx along with researching best practices in other similar projects. Staff from the City's Hurontario Light Rail Transit Office will be reporting to General Committee at key project milestones.
- Hurontario LRT Project Receives Full Provincial Funding
- The Hurontario LRT Moves Forward in Brampton and Mississauga
- Mississauga LRT Update: Project Moves Ahead
- UPDATE: Here's What's Happening with the Hurontario LRT Project in Mississauga
- Another Massive Transit Project Planned For Mississauga and Surrounding Cities
- Teenage driver crashes into pole in Mississauga while allegedly evading police
- Top 5 Biggest Parks in Mississauga
- Bonnie Crombie urges patience as cases climb and hospitalization rates remain high in Mississauga
- Air Canada revising refund policy with cancelled flight options
- When the Mississauga City Centre Was Built