Update from the Peel District School Board regarding COVID-19
Premier Doug Ford has announced all publicly funded schools in Ontario will remain closed beyond April 5—when they had originally been projected to reopen.
Additionally, Peel District School Board (PDSB) schools are not providing an estimate for when they will reopen—“we are waiting for Ministry direction on when schools and worksites will be expected to reopen,” Peter Joshua, director of education for the PDSB, said in a news release.
Further, according to Joshua, teacher-directed learning—from a distance—is projected to commence sometime in April.
Moreover, students and families looking for resources for independent, self-directed learning can access:
- online supplemental learning resources (note: resources for students with special education needs and their families are coming by the end of the week)
- online libraries and database through BYOD accounts. They can also explore multimedia resources like TED Talks, Learn360 and the National Film Board of Canada through their BYOD accounts.
- the Peel board’s Help Your Child webpage
- the Ministry of Education’s new Learn at Home online portal
- education programming offered on TVOkids and TFO’s broadcast channels
“We understand that student needs and family circumstances are different. We also acknowledge the extraordinary pressure families are under and do not wish to add to it by asking you to recreate the classroom experience at home,” Joshua said
That being said, we have a responsibility to ensure that every student has access to learning at home and we are working diligently to ensure all learning needs are met. And here’s how we’re preparing,” he continued.
As well, PDSB has made the difficult decision to cancel all field trips, athletic banquets, semi-formals and proms for the remainder of the school year. However, a decision regarding graduations and commencements has yet to be made.
- Update on teacher-directed learning from the PDSB
- Peel District School Board to re-start teacher-directed instruction soon
- Peel District School Board shares plan for continued learning during COVID-19 school closure
- Peel District School Board Very Concerned About Doug Ford’s Changes to Education
- Some Mississauga students set to receive electronic devices to help with at-home learning
- Body found after lengthy search and rescue effort in Mississauga
- Mississauga student receives one of Canada's most coveted scholarships
- A look at one of Mississauga’s most coveted neighbourhoods
- IKEA Canada reopens stores in Ontario
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Police attempt water rescue in Mississauga's Credit River