University Students In Mississauga Use Dating To Reduce Student Debt
It's no surprise to anyone that mounting student debt via post secondary education is a huge issue for many students.
Which is my one initiative in particular has created a new, albeit unorthodox, way in which students can alleviate themselves of the burden.
Popular dating site SeekingArrangement, which allows younger students or "sugar babies" to be matched up with older "sugar daddies" or "sugar mommies," reports that a large number of those students are resorting to these arrangements in order to lessen their student debt.
The fastest growing sugar baby universities, or schools that have shown an increase in students seeking these arrangements, have the University of Toronto, with campuses in Toronto, Mississauga, and Scarborough, at the top with 362 new sign-ups for a total of 1,170 students.
York University was right behind, with 229 increased sugar babies, for a total of 836 total members, while the University of Waterloo came out on third, with 204 new sign-ups for a total of 381 students engaged in these arrangements.
Overall, the sugar baby arrangements have also seen a 44 per cent rise from 2018, with students receiving a monthly allowance average of $2,925, amongst other benefits and networking opportunities.
Although it does come across as a little out of the norm, there is no doubt that the rising costs of tuition are a burden on students. SeekingArrangement describes this same sentiment on their website.
"Students registered on SeekingArrangement get help paying for fees and even more benefits," the website reads.
"Finding the right Sugar Daddy can help students gain access to the right network and opportunities. Student Sugar Babies in the Canada can get help paying for other university-related costs, such as books and housing."
So here's to the power of dating, when it comes to giving a new meaning to quid pro quo.
What are your thoughts on the practicality of these arrangements, Mississauga?
- This Massive Entertainment Facility is a Hidden Gem
- 5 Hidden Gem Shows at the Living Arts Centre in Mississauga
- Hugely popular cheesecake hotspot coming to Square One in Mississauga
- Some residents and councillor furious about bridge demolition in Mississauga
- Man dies after police taser him in Mississauga
- Some Mississauga Students are Dating to Pay Off Student Loans
- More Than One-Third of College and University Students Receiving Free Tuition Grants in Ontario
- This is the Most Expensive City for University Students in Canada
- Big Changes Coming to Transit Discounts for Some Post-Secondary Students in Mississauga
- Four Mississauga Students Graduate With 100 Per Cent Average