Unique Musical Event Coming to Mississauga
When people think of arts and culture, they don't always think of their very own city—but, perhaps, they should.
Especially since a unique hip-hop focused event is on its way to Mississauga.
The City of Mississauga recently announced that newcomers to the city "will be grooving to the music and stepping to the beat in Mississauga" in August.
According to the city, new residents can take part in the Beats2Borders program, a new cultural residency program the city is launching in partnership with the U.S. Consulate and Meridian International Center.
From August 20-24, 2018, young people aged 12 to 17 who are new to Canada (who have arrived within the last five years) will have the opportunity to explore hip hop culture by participating in master classes delivered by internationally-renowned American hip hop artists.
Beats2Borders program in Tanzania
One such artist is Junious "House" Brickhouse (dancer). According to Next Level's website, the Virginia Beach-raised Brickhouse is the U.S.-based Next Level's co-director, as well as an internationally established, award-winning urban dance educator, choreographer, community leader, and cultural preservationist.
As for the classes themselves, the city says they will focus on dance, beat making and emceeing.
Beats2Borders will be hosted in Mississauga's newly opened Small Arms Inspection Building, which has been taking shape in the city's soon-to-be-revitalized Lakeview neighbourhood.
Beats2Borders program in El Salvador
The program will end with a Block Party at Celebration Square on the evening of Friday, August 24, where participants will showcase their new skills.
Participants will also take a trip to McMichael Canadian Art Collection Gallery in Kleinburg to view a special exhibit on Canadian Hip Hop Culture.
The program is free to participate in and includes lunch and transportation. Registration is open until August 7.
For more info, click here.
Cover photo: Beats2Borders program in El Salvador
All photos courtesy of the City of Mississauga
- 5 Things That Could Replace the Sears Location in Erin Mills Town Centre
- Massive Winning Lotto Prize Ticket Sold in Mississauga
- A New Pop-Up Store is Open at Erin Mills Town Centre in Mississauga
- Crews Attending Basement Fire in Mississauga
- Man in Life-Threatening Condition After Being Pulled from Pool in Mississauga
- City of Mississauga Launches Grant Program
- City Moves Forward on Master Plan for Arts and Culture
- Some Residents Can Apply for City’s Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program
- MiWay Extending its Affordable Transportation Pilot Program in Mississauga
- Here’s How to Get Some Funding From the City of Mississauga