Unique Hazel-Themed Art Coming to Mississauga This Spring
Many moons ago during an arts and culture debate that was held prior to the 2014 municipal election, then-mayoral candidate (and current mayor) Bonnie Crombie proposed that the city look into building a Hazel McCallion museum of sorts.
While everyone—including the mayor—giggled good-naturedly at the idea (it's not a terrible one, people would definitely go), it's no secret that many residents would probably love to see the city's most iconic mayor and public figure be immortalized in some fashion—even if the work is only temporary.
To celebrate Mississauga's longest serving mayor, the city's Culture Division is planning a spring exhibition that pays tribute to McCallion entitled, Do Your Homework | A Tribute to Hazel McCallion.
The exhibit will be part of the city's Canada 150 celebrations and will highlight the life and times of McCallion. It will be on display in the Great Hall of the Mississauga Civic Centre from April 12 to 26.
In preparation for the exhibit, the city put out a call for original artwork that captures the likeness of Hazel McCallion. The Do Your Homework exhibition will present the most captivating moments of McCallion's political career.
The artwork can highlight anything that represents the former mayor throughout her time in public office. The themes that will be highlighted in the exhibition include:
- before and after;
- compassionate leader;
- inspiring women;
- leadership lessons;
- legacy maker;
- a global force; and
- Canadian icon and sports enthusiast
While artists are scheduled to present their proposal at the Benares House tomorrow, it will be some time before the art takes shape in the city.
So, what do you think, Mississauga? What kind of Hazel art would you like to see this spring?
- Hazel McCallion Set to Receive Key to the City of Mississauga
- Hazel McCallion Do Your Homework Exhibit Now Open in Mississauga City Hall
- Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion Endorses Doug Ford
- Doug Ford Gives Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion a New Job
- A Ton of Events are on Tap for the First Ever Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga
- Mississauga grandfather celebrating big lotto win
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of September 21 to 26
- A McDonald's location inside a Walmart in Mississauga has temporarily closed down due to a COVID-19 case
- Police searching for suspect following sexual assault at GO station in Mississauga
- Ontario reports 435 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths