Unique Hazel-Themed Art Coming to Mississauga This Spring
Many moons ago during an arts and culture debate that was held prior to the 2014 municipal election, then-mayoral candidate (and current mayor) Bonnie Crombie proposed that the city look into building a Hazel McCallion museum of sorts.
While everyone—including the mayor—giggled good-naturedly at the idea (it's not a terrible one, people would definitely go), it's no secret that many residents would probably love to see the city's most iconic mayor and public figure be immortalized in some fashion—even if the work is only temporary.
To celebrate Mississauga's longest serving mayor, the city's Culture Division is planning a spring exhibition that pays tribute to McCallion entitled, Do Your Homework | A Tribute to Hazel McCallion.
The exhibit will be part of the city's Canada 150 celebrations and will highlight the life and times of McCallion. It will be on display in the Great Hall of the Mississauga Civic Centre from April 12 to 26.
In preparation for the exhibit, the city put out a call for original artwork that captures the likeness of Hazel McCallion. The Do Your Homework exhibition will present the most captivating moments of McCallion's political career.
The artwork can highlight anything that represents the former mayor throughout her time in public office. The themes that will be highlighted in the exhibition include:
- before and after;
- compassionate leader;
- inspiring women;
- leadership lessons;
- legacy maker;
- a global force; and
- Canadian icon and sports enthusiast
While artists are scheduled to present their proposal at the Benares House tomorrow, it will be some time before the art takes shape in the city.
So, what do you think, Mississauga? What kind of Hazel art would you like to see this spring?
- Man Tears up Quran at Recent School Board Meeting in Mississauga
- UPDATED: Woman Carjacked at Gunpoint and Suspect on the Loose in Mississauga
- What's Happening with the High Park-Style Castle Park in Mississauga?
- Will the Peel District School Board Cancel Trips to U.S. in Wake of Trump’s Travel Ban?
- New Townhomes Coming to Clarkson Concern Mississauga Residents
- A Ton of Events are on Tap for the First Ever Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga
- Happy 96th Birthday Hazel - Hazel McCallion's Photos Through the Years
- Who was Mayor before Hazel McCallion?
- Should Valentine's Day Become Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga (and Beyond)?
- It's Official: There is Now a Hazel McCallion Day in Mississauga (and Beyond)