Unhappy LCBO Workers Set to Picket in Mississauga
Not everyone is happy with Ontario government's plan to bring more wine, beer and cider to grocery stores.LCBO workers who believe the grocery store roll-out will hurt the provincially-run brand are holding a picket at the Meadowvale Town Centre LCBO store today from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. to drum up support and express their concerns.
"The Liberal government and the LCBO are pushing a privatization agenda that is threatening to replace LCBO jobs with Walmart jobs," the Ontario Public Service Employees Union wrote in a recent media release. "In response, OPSEU members who work at the LCBO will be holding a picket to ask the public to support their plan for 'A Better LCBO.'"
Back in April, 93 per cent of LCBO workers voted in favour of a strike mandate over contract demands. The vote, held on April 24 and 25, was called by the bargaining team in March after what they described as management’s “complete lack of respect for workers.”
The union said that job security, scheduling, and health and safety are among several major concerns for the 7,500 LCBO staff members represented by OPSEU.
Despite worker dissatisfaction, the government is surging forward with its roll-out plan.
The Ontario government recently announced that beer and cider are coming to 76 more grocery stores and will be on the shelves by Canada day.
The Pat Mart on Dundas Street East, Starsky Fine Foods at 3115 Dundas Street West and 2040 Dundas Street East, The Walmart Supercentre at Square One, and the Walmart Supercentre on Matheson were all selected and the stores will be able to sell beer and cider starting June 30.
As of now, up to 130 grocery stores across Ontario can sell beer and cider (and up to 70 can sell wine)
The 76 new grocery store authorizations will bring the total to up to 206 grocery stores authorized to sell beer and cider.
- Three Teens Arrested Following Hate-Motivated Crime in Mississauga
- Mississauga Politician Rescinds Award for Community Leader Who Expressed Discriminatory Views
- UPDATE: Here's What's Happening with the Hurontario LRT Project in Mississauga
- Special Weather Alert Now in Effect for Mississauga
- 5 Spas to Road Trip to Outside of Mississauga
- Even More Grocery Stores in Mississauga Could Soon Sell Beer and Cider
- More Major Grocery Stores Now Sell Beer and Cider in Mississauga
- Beer and Cider Coming to More Grocery Stores in Mississauga
- Alcohol Coming to More Big-Name Grocery Stores in Mississauga
- Huge Majority of LCBO Workers Support Strike Vote