Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze
Two Mississauga men are celebrating big lotto wins.
OLG says Nabil Mazhar, 74, is $100,000 richer after winning with Instant Wild Side (Game #2239).
Mazhar, a semi-retired, self-employed grandfather, said he always purchases his tickets at the same store.
"My favourite game is Daily Keno. I like Instant tickets too," Mazhar told OLG.
"When the retailer checked my ticket, the machine froze and said Big Winner. We waited for the call from OLG and high-fived - it didn't hit me until I got in the car!"
Mazhar called his wife of 52 years to share the good news.
"She called me a liar," he told OLG.
"When I got home, I showed her all the receipts and her face went white and she started smiling and laughing."
He told OLG plans to share his winnings with his children and enjoy life. "It's very exciting."
The winning ticket was purchased at Jardin Variety on Keele Street in Concord.
OLG also says that Dragomir Despot’s Daily Keno 8 Pick resulted in a $50,000 win in the January 25, 2021, evening draw.
Despot, 48, told OLG he is a regular player of Daily Keno.
"I won $10,000 on Daily Keno three years ago as well," he said.
"I know my numbers that I play, so when I realized I had eight numbers I was so excited!
Despot told OLG that he had to tell his wife in person.
"I knew she wouldn't believe me if I texted her, so I showed her on the OLG Lottery App. She was happier than me," he said.
Despot said he plans to take a family trip when the pandemic has ended.
"We'll go to the beautiful historic coastal city of Dalmatia."
"This makes me very happy," he said.
The winning ticket was purchased at Stop & Shop on Tenth Line in Mississauga.
In accordance with government-issued lockdown measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, OLG is currently limiting the number of in-person prize claim appointments at the OLG Prize Centre in Toronto to only those that require a face-to-face interview.
- 26-year-old from Hamilton wins Daily Keno prize
- Mississauga man wins a big lotto prize and his wife started to cry at the store
- Grandfather from Mississauga wins a lotto and makes a mistake on his winnings
- Mississauga lotto player wins $245k more than expected
- 'I covered my eyes for a moment': Hamilton grandmother wins Daily Keno midday draw
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Mississauga transit buses now have seats that are unsafe to sit in
- "Don't paint the hydrants" Mississauga fire department tells the public
- Free Summer Scavenger Hunt happening in Hamilton