Two Hamilton schools have an absence rate around 80%
Published February 6, 2022 at 12:12 pm
A high number of schools in Hamilton are reporting high absence rates this week, with the majority of the 63 Hamilton schools in the provincial database reporting rates over 30% and some as high as 80%.
The province recently shifted from reporting COVID-19 cases in schools to monitoring overall absence rates. The percentages below are the combined percentage of students and staff who were reported as absent.
The following Hamilton schools are reporting over 60% absence rates this week:
- Bishop Ryan Catholic Secondary (HWCDSB) – 82.1%
- Bishop Tonnos Catholic Secondary (HWCDSB) – 80%
- Guardian Angels Catholic Elementary (HWCDSB) – 62.1%
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Elementary (HWCDSB) – 63.7%
- St. James the Apostle Catholic Elementary (HWCDSB) – 73.7%
- St. John Henry Newman Catholic Secondary (HWCDSB) – 62.5%
- St. Mary Catholic Secondary (HWCDSB) – 72.9%
Whether the students/staff are absent due to COVID-19 or other reasons is not specified.
Schools re-opened for in-person learning as of Jan. 19, with Health Minister Christine Elliott saying there is “very little evidence” that schools are leading to high levels of transmission of COVID-19.
“We know that there’s high levels of community transmission right now. But in schools themselves, as students go there, they have been made as safe as possible,” Elliott said.