Two Hamilton coaches receive award for excellence, funding for new equipment
Published September 13, 2022 at 8:23 am
A pair of Hamilton coaches have been recognized for their excellence and awarded funding for new equipment.
National Coaches Week runs from Sept. 17 to 25, and in celebration, the Coaches Association of Ontario (CAO) announced the ten recipients of the 2022 Coaching Excellence Award on Tuesday.
Kevin Bomberry with Hamilton Bengals Lacrosse and McMaster University wrestling coach Ahmed Shamiya were recognized by CAO and will receive funding to purchase sporting goods from local Canadian retailers of their choice, courtesy of Hydro One and the provincial government.
“We are thrilled to recognize this year’s award winners for their dedication and support of athlete development on and off the playing field. Community volunteerism will play a vital role as we continue to recover from the pandemic. As coaches, we can be leaders in creating safe, fun, and positive spaces for youth to grow as athletes and leaders,” said CAO’s Executive Director, Jeremy Cross.
The 2022 Ontario Coaching Excellence Award winners are:
- Larissa Byckalo, Mountain Volleyball Club, Burlington
- Kevin Bomberry, Hamilton Bengals Lacrosse, Hamilton
- Christian Hawn, Mississauga South Baseball Association, Mississauga, Hydro One Safe Play Award
- Aga Kurpaska, Mississauga Monarchs Basketball, Mississauga
- Ahmed Shamiya, McMaster University, Hamilton
- Linda Tracey, Loyalist College and Vocational Institute, Kingston
- Taryn Turnbull, Kingston Impact Basketball, Inverary
- Shane Verbiski, St. David’s Catholic Secondary School, Petersburg, Andy Higgins Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Watkins, Durham College, Oshawa Vikings Rugby Club, Oshawa, Susan Kitchen Trailblazer Award
- Greg White, Jacob Hespeler Secondary School, Cambridge
This year marks the 8th annual National Coaches Week.
According to CAO, Ontario is home to more than 150,000 active coaches across over 70 sports — many of whom volunteer their services.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising advertising