Two COVID-19 cases reported at UTM in Mississauga
Two cases of COVID-19 have prompted some closures at the University of Toronto—Mississauga (UTM) campus in Mississauga.
U of T News reports that on Sept. 18, the University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union (UTMSC) told the university that it will be closing all of its in-person services on the UTM campus for two weeks in response to reports of two COVID-19 cases in the Student Centre.
According to U of T News, UTMSU has closed the UTMSU Office, the InfoBooth, the Blind Duck Pub and Duck Stop.
"UTMSU and UTM are taking direction from public health authorities, to support contact tracing and any individuals affected. The UTMSU Student Centre will be cleaned and disinfected following public health guidelines before it reopens," the article reads.
The article says UTM's own facilities and services are unchanged at this time and that the campus remains open to community members. Visitors are advised to practice physical distancing, wash their hands and wear face-coverings.
The article says public health authorities have identified and contacted individuals who may have been exposed and that there is no elevated risk to other staff, students or visitors.
"If you are contacted by a public health authority with regards to COVID-19, please contact the University's occupational health nurse, ehs [dot] occhealth [at] utoronto [dot] ca," the article reads.
"If you are advised by public health to self-isolate, please confirm with them that you are clear to resume normal activities before returning to work or study."
All members of the UTM community are asked to monitor their health for COVID-19 symptoms daily and use the UCheck self-assessment web portal before coming to campus or leaving their residence room.
To learn more about COVID-19 safety protocols at UTM, click here.
Cover photo courtesy of UTM’s official Facebook page
- Union representing U of T wants University to suspend on-campus learning
- Ontario reports 653 COVID-19 cases as new public health measures take effect
- Peel public health continues taking safety measures amid COVID-19 concerns
- Community COVID-19 outbreak declared after Western university students test positive
- Union urging Province to consult with health and safety committees before allowing post-secondary students to return to campus
- Mississauga teacher enjoying big lotto win
- Popular Mississauga restaurant opens luxury tent to keep diners comfortable amid the COVID shutdown
- HOTW: Inside a $2.3 mil luxury penthouse in Mississauga's Marilyn Monroe condo
- BREAKING: Ontario reporting 978 new COVID-19 cases today, six new deaths
- PHOTOS: Swans rescued following oil spill at Credit River in Mississauga