Two COVID-19 cases reported at UTM in Mississauga
Two cases of COVID-19 have prompted some closures at the University of Toronto—Mississauga (UTM) campus in Mississauga.
U of T News reports that on Sept. 18, the University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union (UTMSC) told the university that it will be closing all of its in-person services on the UTM campus for two weeks in response to reports of two COVID-19 cases in the Student Centre.
According to U of T News, UTMSU has closed the UTMSU Office, the InfoBooth, the Blind Duck Pub and Duck Stop.
"UTMSU and UTM are taking direction from public health authorities, to support contact tracing and any individuals affected. The UTMSU Student Centre will be cleaned and disinfected following public health guidelines before it reopens," the article reads.
The article says UTM's own facilities and services are unchanged at this time and that the campus remains open to community members. Visitors are advised to practice physical distancing, wash their hands and wear face-coverings.
The article says public health authorities have identified and contacted individuals who may have been exposed and that there is no elevated risk to other staff, students or visitors.
"If you are contacted by a public health authority with regards to COVID-19, please contact the University's occupational health nurse, ehs [dot] occhealth [at] utoronto [dot] ca," the article reads.
"If you are advised by public health to self-isolate, please confirm with them that you are clear to resume normal activities before returning to work or study."
All members of the UTM community are asked to monitor their health for COVID-19 symptoms daily and use the UCheck self-assessment web portal before coming to campus or leaving their residence room.
To learn more about COVID-19 safety protocols at UTM, click here.
Cover photo courtesy of UTM’s official Facebook page
- St Catharines university students help public health set up COVID website and clinics
- McMaster University confirms two new student cases of COVID-19
- Union representing U of T wants University to suspend on-campus learning
- Union urging Province to consult with health and safety committees before allowing post-secondary students to return to campus
- Mohawk College reports two new COVID-19 cases
- House of the week: $4.5 mil Mississauga Road home with gorgeous outdoor features
- Frustration mounts as Mississauga residents told second vaccine dose only available in Muskoka, Simcoe
- Hamilton Police announce arrest of Oliver Karafa and Yun Lu Li in Hungary
- More Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario residents now eligible for earlier second dose of vaccine
- VIDEO: Fire destroys Mississauga Road mansion