Trudeau takes a pass on meeting this week with Trump, Lopez Obrador
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is taking a pass on a meeting this week with U.S. President Donald Trump and Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.
Trudeau's office says he wishes the two countries and their leaders well but Trudeau will remain in Ottawa for a cabinet retreat and a scheduled sitting of Parliament.
Lopez Obrador is travelling to D.C. in part to celebrate the entry-into-force of the new North American free-trade deal and had expressed hope Trudeau would join as well.
Trudeau's office says the prime minister will continue to work with both countries to ensure the agreement becomes a success and helps ensure North America emerges stronger from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Trudeau had been asked last week whether he'd attend the meeting, and had not mentioned either Parliament or the retreat as reasons not to go.
At the time, he did cite concerns about recent musings by Americans about tariffs on aluminum.
He also noted the extent of the COVID-19 outbreaks in the other countries.
The Associated Press reported earlier Monday that Lopez Obrador and Trudeau are expected to speak by phone ahead of the Mexican president's trip to Washington.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 6, 2020.
The Canadian Press
- Response to U.S. tariffs on Canadian aluminum to come today: Trudeau
- Is Justin Trudeau doing worse by transit systems than Donald Trump?
- Prime Minister Trudeau to give update in Ottawa on COVID-19 Saturday
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau self-isolating after wife experiences flu-like symptoms
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to testify today on WE Charity controversy
- Worker at Shoppers Drug Mart in Mississauga tests positive for COVID-19
- HBC sues landlord of Square One, Yorkdale claiming failure to run ‘first class’ malls
- Mississauga restaurateurs plead for help amid second indoor dining ban
- Lotto 649 jackpot sold in Brampton
- One person in hospital and multiple lanes closed following crash on 401 in Mississauga