Town Halls that made Mississauga
Mississauga (formerly Toronto Township) has had many buildings, over time, that have served, both formally and informally, as the Township Hall/Town Hall/Municipal Offices/City Hall/Civic Centre.
Some of them, repurposed, survive today, while many do not. Township Halls included the Toronto Township Hall and Court House, built circa 1844 in Streetsville, followed by the 1873 Township Hall in Cooksville, which itself became part of a larger Township Hall in 1953. Following a fire in 1969, the Township of Toronto Civic Centre moved to a 5-storey building near Square One in 1971, which was torn down in 1988 after the opening of our modern City Hall, the Mississauga Civic Centre in 1987.
Streetsville and Port Credit, prior to amalgamation in 1974, also had their own municipal office buildings over time. In Streetsville these included the repurposed Maiden Lane Public School building (served as Town Hall from 1939-1965) and the former Streetsville Grammar School (1966-1974), both of which survive today.
In Port Credit, Village (later Town) Council met in the former Orange Lodge building on Stavebank Road after 1914, and from 1941 until 1974 met in Clarke Memorial Hall on Lakeshore Road. All of these buildings, whether surviving today or remembered only in historic images, and the decisions made within their walls, played an important role in the growth and development of our remarkable city.
1873 Township Hall, Cooksville, c1900
Clarke Hall Entrance, Port Credit, 1962
Clarke Memorial Hall, Port Credit, 1974
Former Orange Lodge, Port Credit Village Hall, Stavebank Road, Port Credit, c1920
Maiden Lane Public School, Streetsville, c1910
Streetsville, Streetsville Grammar School, c1920
Township Hall, Cooksville, 1953
Town of Mississauga Civic Centre, c1980
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.