Timeline for confirmed cases of new coronavirus in Canada
TORONTO -- Four cases of the new coronavirus have now been confirmed in Canada -- three in Ontario and one in British Columbia. Here is a timeline of Canadian cases.
Jan. 25, 2020: A man in his 50s who arrived in Toronto from Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the outbreak, becomes the first "presumptive" case of the new coronavirus in Canada. The man called 911 as soon as he got sick with relatively minor symptoms and was placed in isolation in Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital.
Jan. 26, 2020: The wife of the Toronto man who was Canada's first "presumptive" case of the new coronavirus becomes the second presumptive case. The woman is kept in home isolation.
Jan. 27, 2020: The National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg confirms that a man in quarantine in Sunnybrook Hospital is Canada's first documented case of the new coronavirus.
Jan 28, 2020: Health authorities confirm Canada's second case of the novel coronavirus. The woman had recently travelled to Wuhan, China, with her husband, who was the first case confirmed in Canada.
Jan 28, 2020: Health officials in British Columbia say a man in his 40s is presumed to have the new coronavirus and is doing well as he recovers at his Vancouver home. B.C.'s health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, says the man often works in China and voluntarily isolated himself upon returning to Canada.
Jan. 28, 2020: The presumed case of the new strain of coronavirus in B.C. is confirmed by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg.
Jan. 31, 2020: Toronto man hospitalized with the novel coronavirus is well enough to go home. Sunnybrook Hospital says he'll continue to recover at home, where his wife is also in self-isolation.
Jan. 31, 2020: Ontario's third case of the new coronavirus is confirmed. The patient, a woman in her 20s, had travelled to the affected area in China. The London, Ont., university student initially tested negative for the virus, but a subsequent test at the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg was positive. Health officials say her symptoms are minor.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 2, 2020.
The Canadian Press
- New presumptive case of novel coronavirus in Toronto, health officials say
- Ontario confirms second case of Wuhan coronavirus
- Third case of novel coronavirus confirmed in Ontario
- BREAKING: First coronavirus patient confirmed at Sunnybrook Hospital
- Province confirms new presumptive case of coronavirus
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- PICK A SIDE: When should masks no longer be mandatory in Ontario?
- Popular breakfast and lunch restaurant opening new location in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- 16 flights landing with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga most since February