Tim Hortons is scrapping Roll Up The Rim cups due to the coronavirus
TORONTO -- Tim Hortons says it is getting rid of Roll Up The Rim cups due to the novel coronavirus and is moving much of the annual contest to its app.
The coffee-and-doughnut chain is removing all of the contest's paper cups over health concerns around staff handling items recently gripped and sipped by customers returning them for prizes.
Tim Hortons does not identify COVID-19 as the catalyst, but says "the current public health environment" means "it's not the right time for team members...to collect rolled up tabs that have been in people's mouths."
The company says it will redistribute all $30 million worth of prizes to restaurant giveaways and a digital contest.
On Friday, Tim Hortons and McDonald's Canada became the latest coffee purveyors to stop accepting reusable mugs brought in by customers amid concerns about the epidemic, with the number of confirmed cases in Canada rising to 57 as of Saturday.
The temporary move followed similar decisions by Starbucks and The Second Cup Ltd. announced earlier in the week.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 7, 2020.
The Canadian Press
Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the Roll Up The Rim contest was being scrapped. In fact, the cups are being scrapped but the contest will go ahead without them.
- Tim Hortons temporarily stops accepting reusable cups amid COVID-19 concerns
- Tim Hortons’ popular annual contest going digital this year
- This Beloved Contest Has Returned to Tim Hortons in Mississauga
- Limited Edition NHL Cups Coming to Tim Hortons
- Tim Hortons Brings Back Roll Up the Rim in Special Edition
- Brampton father found guilty in severe malnutrition of his 21-month-old daughter
- WATCH: Hamilton Police release video of Barton Street shooting
- Hudson's Bay may be in 'shirt' over a taboo typo in Canada
- India extends own flight ban disrupting travel plans for those in Mississauga and Brampton
- Big deals happening at a new clothing and accessories store at Dixie Outlet Mall in Mississauga