Three people arrested in Mississauga facing combined total of 114 fraud charges
Three people are facing more than a hundred combined charges following an extensive police investigation.
Durham Police began investigating after numerous incidents of distraction thefts were reported in Durham Region during the months of August and September.
The first reported incident occurred on August 6 at a Walmart on Kingston Road East in Ajax, when a female suspect approached the victim and told her that she had dropped a twenty-dollar bill on the floor.
“During this distraction, a second suspect removed a credit card from her purse,” police say. “The victim realized later that her credit card was missing and numerous withdrawals were made using her card.”
With assistance from Calgary Police, Peel Regional Police, and other community partners, multiple suspects were identified.
“Distraction techniques were used to obtain credit cards and PIN numbers were also observed by looking over the shoulder of an unsuspecting victim,” police say.
On Sunday, October 27, police arrested three suspects at Pearson International Airport in Mississauga. They are identified as Persida Corciu, 43, Andrei Preda, 33, and Petrache Dadaci, 48.
All three suspects had no fixed address and were in possession of Romanian passports.
The three are facing a combined total of 114 fraud-related charges, including Theft of Credit Card, Possess Identity Information, Fraud Under $5,000, Possession of Property Obtained by Crime, and Identity Fraud.
Each suspect was held for a bail hearing.
- Mississauga Man Facing 54 Charges of Credit Card Fraud
- Two arrested for string of distraction thefts targeting residents in Peel and the GTA
- WARNING: Debit Card Fraud In Taxi Cabs in Mississauga
- Police Looking for Suspect in Connection With Theft and Fraud Investigation in Mississauga
- Peel police officer facing fraud and forgery charges
- BREAKING: Social gathering limits to be lowered in Mississauga in response to spike in COVID-19 cases
- PHOTOS: A look at the most and least expensive homes that just changed hands in Mississauga
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 17
- Peel District schools in Mississauga with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 17
- Mississauga schools in hold and secure due to suspicious activity: Police