Mississauga school has 10 students and five staff members ill with COVID-19
The Catholic school board that operates schools in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon closed three more schools to in-person learning due to COVID-19 outbreaks Friday, for a total of 10 across the board.
The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board shuttered three elementary schools as of Friday: San Lorenzo Ruiz, St. Cornelius and St. John the Baptist elementary.
St. Sofia School in Mississauga is among the schools that have been closed for longer.
It's reporting 10 students and five staff members who are ill with COVID-19.
Spokesman Bruce Campbell says the board has been forced to shutter the schools to in-person learning because of teachers who have been directed to self-isolate.
He says there aren't enough permanent staff and occasional teachers to "provide safe supervision and to maintain operations in an in-person environment" at the facilities.
More than a dozen of the board's other schools have sent entire classrooms home due to the virus.
The Ministry of Education says 38 of the 4,828 schools across Ontario are currently closed due to the virus, while 908 schools are reporting at least one case of COVID-19.
The Canadian Press
- LATEST UPDATE: 11 schools now closed in Peel Region as COVID spreads in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon
- Seven schools fully closed due to COVID in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon
- COVID-19 shuts down 17 schools in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon as 434 students, teachers now infected with virus
- Public and Catholic School boards in Mississauga and Brampton calling for closure of schools
- School boards struggle to find supply teachers, board that serves Mississauga closes 12 schools
- Mississauga, Brampton services will be affected by new federal holiday in September
- Dog dragged by car rescued in Mississauga by 'kind-hearted residents,' driver was allegedly impaired
- More Canadians say worst of COVID-19 yet to come as the Delta variant spreads: poll
- Peel Police on scene in Mississauga after cyclist struck by car
- 7 ways we can crush COVID in Mississauga and Brampton