Doug Ford Gives Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion a New Job
Following the end of her lengthy career as mayor of Mississauga, Hazel McCallion hasn’t spent too much time in the public eye over the past few years — although that could change with her new position in the Ontario government.
McCallion was recently appointed special advisor to the Premier, Doug Ford, and Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Steve Clark.
Ford and Clark made the announcement on Friday, January 18.
“McCallion brings many decades of public service, public advocacy and, most importantly, public representation that will enable her to provide advice to the Premier and the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on a range of municipal issues,” reads a statement from the provincial government.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie congratulated McCallion on her new position, citing the former mayor’s municipal government experience as a major qualification.
“I know Hazel understands Mississauga’s issues and positions and will be a strong advocate for our City and the municipal sector,” Crombie said.
“I look forward to working closely with her in this new role to advance the priorities of Mississauga and municipalities across Ontario.”
I'd like to extend my congratulations to Hazel McCallion on this new and well-deserved post. There are few, if any, individuals in this country with more experience in municipal affairs. Read my statement here: https://t.co/nARD24Hmny #onpoli pic.twitter.com/wU6rO4gZhk— Bonnie Crombie (@BonnieCrombie) January 18, 2019
McCallion will reportedly receive a maximum of $150,000 a year for her new position.
What do you think of the former mayor’s new role in our provincial government?
- Busy Mississauga library to close for two years for a multi-million-dollar renovation
- VIDEO: Man wanted for allegedly yelling racial comments and threats in Mississauga
- 16-year-old found with loaded gun in Mississauga, police say
- City still concerned about controversial convent and senior’s residence in Mississauga
- First responders dealing with a vehicle rollover in Mississauga
- Hazel McCallion Won’t Receive Salary While Working for Doug Ford
- Former Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion Endorses Doug Ford
- Hazel McCallion and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie Disagree on Growth and Sprawl
- Happy 99th birthday, Hazel - Hazel McCallion's photos through the years
- The Day Rob Ford Saved Hazel McCallion