Third person dies of COVID-19 in Ontario
TORONTO -- A third person has died in Ontario because of COVID-19.
The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit confirmed the death of a man in his 70s today.
The man had been in close contact with another man who was the province's first COVID-19 related death on March 11.
The news came as Ontario Premier Doug Ford appealed to the province's manufacturing sector to help produce key medical supplies.
Ford says there are shortages of many items needed by health care workers because of global demand created by the COVID-19.
The premier says any company that can produce items like ventilators, face masks, surgical gowns, protective eye-wear and hand sanitizers should reach out to the government.
Ontario is reporting 59 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total in the province to 377, with that total including six resolved cases and two deaths.
The Canadian Press
- First Ontario-produced masks ready for use, Premier Doug Ford says
- Close to 500 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, over 600 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- 564 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, close to 700 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- COVID-19: 151 new cases in Ontario as premier looks to limit gatherings to 5 people or less
- Close to 500 new cases of COVID-19 found in Ontario, over 400 total cases confirmed in Mississauga
- Mississauga man charged after hate-motivated incident
- Mississauga student receives one of Canada's most coveted scholarships
- Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report
- Quebec says 41 students and staff tested positive for COVID-19 since reopening
- Man chains himself to tree outside of hard-hit Mississauga long-term care home to demand change