Third case of novel coronavirus confirmed in Ontario
Health professionals are continuing to closely monitor possible cases of individuals infected with the novel coronavirus.
Today, a third case was confirmed by David Williams, Chief Medical Officer of Health, in Ontario.
In order to ensure the strictest measures are taken to keep the public safe, Public Health Ontario (PHO) and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), have been sharing all test samples with the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg, which uses more sensitive testing to find traces of the virus the other two labs may be unable to pick up.
As a result, a case that had previously believed to have been negative tested positive after additional tests.
This new case involves a woman in her 20’s who arrived in Toronto from China asymptomatic on January 23.
On January 24, she started to exhibit symptoms and was tested at the London Health Sciences Centre.
She has now recovered from the illness, and, since January 24, she has been in isolation.
“I want to re-emphasize that the risk to Ontarians remains low,” Williams said in a news release.
“It is clear that we are learning more and more about the coronavirus each day, and our testing procedures are evolving and getting more and more precise, which is good news for everyone throughout Ontario and Canada. By working hand-in-hand with our partners across the health care system we are in a very good position to contain the virus and better protect the health and wellbeing of individuals and families across the province,” he continued.
- New presumptive case of novel coronavirus in Toronto, health officials say
- One Ontario case of coronavirus resolved: chief medical officer
- Ontario confirms second case of Wuhan coronavirus
- Low number of novel coronavirus cases ‘reassuring,’ Ontario health official says
- LATEST: Health officials report two new cases of the novel coronavirus
- Restaurant in Square One in Mississauga appears to have closed down for good
- Mississauga retiree enjoying big lotto win
- Mississauga travel agency owner wins $1 million lotto prize
- Ontario to introduce bill to extend some emergency measures over the next year
- Two employees at Mississauga grocery store test positive for COVID-19