These Mississauga Teachers Received A Canada-Wide Award
Five Mississauga teachers have been recognized for their leadership and dedication to students.
The Mississauga teachers will receive a Loran Teachers Building Leaders Award, which is awarded by the Loran Scholars Foundation. In 2019, only 28 teachers across the country will receive the award.
To receive the award, a former student who has become a Loran Scholar nominates a teacher that helped them recognize their potential. A Loran Scholar is a post-secondary student that has been selected in a pool of over 5,000 applicants, on the basis of character, service and leadership.
Justina Marianayagam, a 2014 Loran Scholar, nominated Ms. Robyn Dunn, Ms. Suzanne Raymond, and Mr. Gengiz Demets of Streetsville Secondary School for their impact. They will be presented with their awards on June 14 at 2:30 p.m at the school’s library.
Chloe Batista, a 2015 Loran Scholar, nominated Ms. Monika de Souza and Ms. Marina Poirier of Lorne Park Secondary School. They will receive their awards on June 21 at 10 a.m at the school.
Founded in 1988, the Loran Scholars Foundation is a national charity that works in partnership with Canadian universities, donors and volunteers throughout the country to invest in young people who demonstrate great potential.
Up to 35 Loran Scholars are selected annually from a pool of over 5,000 through different interviews with community leaders. Each Loran Scholar receives a comprehensive undergraduate award valued at up to $100,000 over four years.
The Loran Scholars Foundation’s Teachers Building Leaders Award recognizes primary and secondary school teachers who provide early inspiration, guidance, and growth opportunities for the scholars. The award aims to show that teachers can inspire students with a desire to learn and realize their full potential.
Photo courtesy of Etude Architects Inc.
- Two Overnight Shootings in Mississauga
- CLOSURE: Two Pakistani restaurants closed for health violations in Mississauga
- Paramedics attending highway collision in Mississauga
- World premiere of huge attraction coming to Square One in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Vehicle fire breaks out on highway in Mississauga
- Two Mississauga Students Could Win Absolutely Massive Scholarships Soon
- Peel District School Board Set to Lay Off Over 300 Teachers
- Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation to hold a strike vote
- Peel School Board Wants to Hire More Black and Indigenous Teachers
- Mississauga Students Win Prestigious Award