There's a possibility Mississauga can enter stage 2 as soon as Monday
While the Region of Peel has still not been permitted by the Province to enter Stage 2 of Ontario’s COVID-19 reopening plan, according to Mayor Bonnie Crombie it could happen as early as Monday.
Crombie says she is hopeful that the Province will see fit to allow Mississauga to enter Stage 2 as early as possible, which would be this coming Monday, June 22.
“I’m hopeful. It’s possible that if things turn around, the Province could make a decision on Friday to allow Mississauga to enter Stage 2 by Monday,” Crombie says in an interview with insauga.com’s Khaled Iwamura.
“I’d like nothing more than to see our businesses reopen—these are our friends, our family members, our local entrepreneurs; these are the businesses we want to support,” she says. “We want to get them open again and see them not only survive, but thrive.”
However, she was also quick to point out that there are risks associated with entering Stage 2 before a city is ready.
“If we open too soon, it could lead to a second wave even sooner—we’ve seen a resurgence in areas that don’t take proper precautions, and reopen sooner than they should,” Crombie says.
Crombie also says she doesn’t have the authority to implement a requirement for residents to wear masks when they leave their house, and she doesn’t expect one to be implemented.
“Our understanding is that’s up to the Province—we can’t make masks mandatory for one region but not for another,” Crombie says. “The Premier has said he wasn’t planning to make masks mandatory in Ontario.”
She also cited the fact a mask requirement would be difficult to monitor.
“Who’s going to enforce that every single person is wearing a mask. We know there will be people who are exempt—young children are an example, as are people with disabilities, and people with respiratory issues. That would be extremely difficult to enforce,” she says.
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about what's going on in Mississauga for the week of June 16, 2020
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about what's going on in Mississauga for the week of June 30, 2020
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about what's going on in Mississauga for the week of June 23, 2020
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about what's going on in Mississauga for the week of June 9, 2020
- Mississauga mayor responds to province holding off on letting Peel enter Stage 3
- Police investigating after body found in storage facility in Mississauga
- Police hoping to identify man who reversed into a woman in Mississauga
- Face-coverings now required in common areas of condos and apartment buildings in Mississauga
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Rental prices down 10 per cent in Mississauga