The People Behind the Street Names in Mississauga
Many of roads, streets, and highways carry names of significant people or families, some of whom helped to shape life and times in historic Mississauga, and others whose influence was felt abroad.
Road names offer us a chance to ponder our collective history - when were they named, and why in that particular moment were these names chosen? To learn more about the individuals depicted here, or other honoured names from our remarkable past, please contact Heritage Mississauga.
Adamson Street, Erindale - General Sir Peter Adamson
Cawthra Road - Grace and Harry Cawthra-Elliot
Cotton Drive, Port Credit - Robert Cotton
Dixie Road - Dr Beaumont Wilson Bowen Dixie
Dundas Street - Lord Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, British Secretary of War
Peter Street, Port Credit - Reverend Peter Jones, Kahkewaquonaby
QEW - Queen Elizabeth - the Queen Mother
Rutledge Road, Streetsville - John Rutledge
Tomken Road - Colonel Thomas Laird Kennedy
Truscott Drive, Park Royal - Lord Mayor of London, England, Sir Dennis Truscott
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- Tech startups can apply for funding and get in front of industry partners with this opportunity
- Canada Post reports more cases of COVID found at Mississauga's Gateway facility