The People Behind the Street Names in Mississauga
Many of roads, streets, and highways carry names of significant people or families, some of whom helped to shape life and times in historic Mississauga, and others whose influence was felt abroad.
Road names offer us a chance to ponder our collective history - when were they named, and why in that particular moment were these names chosen? To learn more about the individuals depicted here, or other honoured names from our remarkable past, please contact Heritage Mississauga.
Adamson Street, Erindale - General Sir Peter Adamson
Cawthra Road - Grace and Harry Cawthra-Elliot
Cotton Drive, Port Credit - Robert Cotton
Dixie Road - Dr Beaumont Wilson Bowen Dixie
Dundas Street - Lord Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, British Secretary of War
Peter Street, Port Credit - Reverend Peter Jones, Kahkewaquonaby
QEW - Queen Elizabeth - the Queen Mother
Rutledge Road, Streetsville - John Rutledge
Tomken Road - Colonel Thomas Laird Kennedy
Truscott Drive, Park Royal - Lord Mayor of London, England, Sir Dennis Truscott
All images are courtesy of Heritage Mississauga.
- PHOTOS: Here is Everything That’s Coming to the New Food District in Square One in Mississauga
- Dollarama Announces the Launch of Its New Online Store
- Snowfall Alert Now in Effect for Mississauga
- Environment Canadian Issues Special Weather Statement for Mississauga
- Residents in Mississauga Experiencing Internet Outage