The Latest on Uber Suspending Operations in Mississauga
At this week’s General Committee meeting, Council passed a motion directing transportation network companies (TNCs) to suspend operations in Mississauga as the City’s Public Vehicle Advisory Committee (PVAC) continues a review of these companies currently operating illegally in Mississauga.
Highlights of the motion includes:
* directing TNCs and drivers to suspend operation within Mississauga until amendments to the Public Vehicle Licensing By-law are made;
* City staff continuing to enforce the Public Vehicle Licensing By-law and charge all drivers;
* Staff to report back on TNC related charges under the City's Public Vehicle Licensing By-law;
* Federal and Provincial government be requested to undertake legislative changes to regulate TNCs to ensure that TNCs are regulated consistently across municipalities in Ontario;
* PVAC holds an open education session and makes its recommendations to Council.
“We need a safe and fair system where everyone operates under the law,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “We are taking the time and doing the work to ensure we have a level playing field.”
“The motion directing TNCs to suspend operations will give us time to ensure we have the best option for Mississauga,” said Ron Starr Ward 6 Councillor and Public Vehicle Advisory Committee Chair. "Further review will be done at the City’s Public Vehicle Advisory Committee.”
“Technology is changing many industries,” said Carolyn Parrish Ward 5 Councillor and Public Vehicle Vice Chair. “Our job is to manage the transition and make it fair. Review at the City’s Public Vehicle Advisory Committee will help us achieve that.”
The motion will be on the March 9, 2016 Council agenda for final approval.
- Here’s when Mississauga’s newest park will be opening
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist killed on QEW identified as man from Mississauga
- You can add something else to your recycling this fall in Mississauga
- Winning LOTTO ticket sold in Mississauga still up for grabs
- Walmart launches brand new (and super fast) delivery service in Mississauga