The Ford Government Proposes To Increase Driver Fees Year After Freezing Them
Ontario’s previous Liberal government planned to increase some of the driver fees in September 2018. When Doug Ford was elected, he announced that they will be freezing driver fees.
“People are fed up with paying more and more every time they need to renew their licence or take a driving test. This will make life more affordable for drivers right across the province. This is the latest example of our government putting money back where it belongs — in the pockets of hard-working Ontarians,” said Premier Doug Ford.
We are stopping the Liberals' driver fee increase because people are fed up with paying more every time they need to renew their licence or take a driving test. We are making life more affordable and putting money back where it belongs — in the pockets of hard-working Ontarians. pic.twitter.com/1NGPdLFRKi— Doug Ford (@fordnation) August 23, 2018
However, the Ford government just proposed to introduce an annual increase beginning July 1.
On the government’s website, they state that they want to increase driver fees by two per cent each year for the next five years. This will affect various driver, vehicle and carrier products and services.
The government will also be increasing the driver examination services’ Consumer Price Index fee on July 1 instead of the scheduled date of September 1.
“These moderate fee increases will allow the government to continue delivering services and move towards full cost recovery without increasing taxes for all Ontarians. By doing a two per cent regular increase, the Ministry of Transportation is taking a measured approach to achieving fiscal balance, while providing Ontario residents with the ability to predict annual increases, directly tied to inflationary pressures,” states the proposal.
The government states that the cost of some services offered by the Ministry of Transportation does not reflect the cost to the ministry to provide the services.
During the past few years, the ministry has already introduced new fees and increased existing fees.
What do you think of these changes to driver fees?
- These Driving Fees Won't be Increasing This Year in Mississauga
- These Driving and Vehicle Fees are no Longer Being Increased for Mississauga Residents
- Some fees and transit fares could increase in Mississauga
- Ontario is Freezing These Fees for Drivers
- Ontario Government Planning to Cut Tuition Fees in Mississauga
- House of the Week: Magnificent $8.8 Mil Mansion with Luxurious Indoor Pool
- Mississauga has an interactive map for coyote sightings
- PICK A SIDE: Should kids go back to school in September?
- Police launch blitz targeting noisy vehicles in Mississauga
- 121 new COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, eight new cases found in Mississauga