Suspects Charged in 'Subway Bandit' Investigation
Two men are facing a combined 57 charges in connection with 16 robberies across the GTA.
Seven robberies took place in Peel Region, say police, while nine were in Toronto’s west end.
The spree ran from Feb. 18 to March 13, targeting fast-food joints.
The main target? Subway sandwich locations, say Toronto police.
A man would enter with a hood “tied close around his face” and glasses.
In some instances “he initially posed as a customer, asking to purchase an item,” before demanding cash and pulling a gun, investigators allege.
Other times, the man would walk behind the counter, removing money from the till.
Three robberies involved an accomplice.
Arrests were made on March 13 via a joint investigation with Peel police.
A replica gun was found during the takedown, investigators allege.
Egal Wais, 21, of Toronto, is charged with: 16 counts of robbery; conspiracy to commit robbery; 16 counts of use imitation firearm to commit indictable offence; 16 counts of disguise with intent.
Yosef Ali, 24, of Toronto, is charged with: three counts of robbery; conspiracy to commit robbery; three counts of use imitation firearm to commit indictable offence; disguise with intent.
They’re scheduled to appear in court on April 19.
- Rental prices falling as the year winds to a close in Mississauga
- Employee of Mississauga No Frills tests positive for COVID-19
- House of the Week: Huge $3.9 mil house near Rattray Marsh
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of fatal crash between motorcycle and MiWay bus in Mississauga
- Policy officer from Mississauga celebrating big lotto win