Suspect Leads Police on Pursuit, Ditches Vehicle in Mississauga
A Milton man is facing charges after allegedly leading police on a high-speed pursuit - ditching the vehicle in Mississauga - then reporting his car as stolen.
It all went down on June 10 at 8:41 a.m. in Milton.
That’s when Halton police responded to reports of an impaired driver near Trafalgar Rd. and Hwy. 407.
Witnesses reported a green Volkswagen - with a front tire missing - was being operated erratically and smashing through a street sign.
Responding officers found the vehicle and that’s when the driver engaged officers in a high speed pursuit.
Even though the vehicle had completely lost a front wheel it accelerated to speeds estimated to be in excess of 170 km/h, say investigators.
Officers ended the pursuit due to the speeds reached, the condition of the fleeing motor vehicle, and the fact that they could identify the driver.
The vehicle was later found abandoned in Mississauga.
Shortly after the vehicle was recovered, the registered owner called Halton police to report the vehicle stolen.
The caller said he was at a Milton hotel and police met him there.
Officers involved in the original pursuit went to take the report.
The man was identified by police as the fleeing driver and he was arrested without incident.
Dave Simpson, 23, is facing charges including: dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, flight from police, and fail to remain at the scene of an accident.
He was released on a promise to appear and an undertaking.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Const. Emil Olejarski at 1 District: 905-825-4747 ext. 2405.
Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers “See something? Hear something? Know something? Contact Crime Stoppers” at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca
- Officers Searching For Missing Vehicle That Evaded Police During a Pursuit in Mississauga
- Police searching for stolen vehicle driver who fled crash in Mississauga
- Mississauga Man Facing Multiple Charges Following Police Investigation and Pursuit
- Two police cars rammed by stolen vehicle in Mississauga, Brampton pair charged
- Driver Arrested With Stolen Property After Single-Vehicle Collision In Mississauga
- Some university students in Mississauga are dating older partners to pay off debt
- Police won’t be stopping and questioning people while stay-at-home order is in effect
- New COVID-19 isolation centre now open in Peel; more coming soon
- Two COVID-19 cases reported at Loblaws in Mississauga
- Here's how the vaccine will be rolled out in Mississauga