Suspect arrested in violent jewelry store robbery in Mississauga
Investigators from the Central Robbery Bureau have made an arrest in connection to a violent robbery and shooting that occurred in the City of Mississauga.
Peel Police say on Monday, November 9, 2020, at around 2:00 p.m., suspects entered a jewelry store in the area of Airport Road and Derry Road in Mississauga.
The suspects forcibly confined customers and an employee at gunpoint.
They were zip-tied, and police say the suspects stole over $1.5 million worth of jewelry and gold.
One suspect was wearing a dark suit, black dress shoes, black gloves, and a realistic mask that appeared as a white male with a long black beard and black sunglasses.
That suspect was armed with a black and silver handgun.
A second suspect was wearing a black top with a white collar, black pants, black dress shoes, black gloves, and a realistic mask that appeared as a white male with a long black beard.
An employee of the store followed the suspects to the parking lot area where he attempted to retrieve one of the stolen jewelry bags and a violent confrontation ensued.
Police say the victim was shot twice at close range by the armed suspect during the struggle.
Both suspects fled the scene in a white BMW X4 SUV.
Police say the victim sustained serious physical injury, including two gunshot wounds but survived the deadly encounter.
Through an extensive criminal investigation, police determined the identity of one of the suspects as 30-year-old Olakunle Banjoko from Toronto.
On Monday, December 21, 2020, members of the Central Robbery Bureau executed a search warrant in Toronto.
Banjoko was arrested and charged with Attempt Murder, Robbery with a Firearm, Disguise with Intent, and two counts of Failing to Comply with a Weapons Prohibition Order.
He attended the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton for a bail hearing on Tuesday, December 22, 2020.
The Central Robbery Bureau continues to investigate this matter as there is still one suspect outstanding.
Investigators are asking anyone with information in relation to this robbery to contact them at 905-453-2121 ext. 3410.
Information may also be left anonymously by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or by visiting their website.
- Police Searching for Suspects of Armed Robbery in Mississauga
- Police Seek Public Assistance Identifying Robbery Suspect
- Police seeking two armed suspects after bank robbery in Mississauga
- Police seeking public's assistance in identifying suspect in connection to armed robbery and shooting in Mississauga
- Police Hunting for Robbery Suspect Who Has Hit Brampton and Mississauga
- How Dundas & Hurontario Looked Back in the Day
- Ontario ticket holder claims $1 million Maxmillion prize
- MAYORS CHAT: Bonnie Crombie chats about Mississauga - January 18, 2021
- Here’s what you need to know about the Province’s stay-at-home order
- Ontario sees signficiant drop in new COVID-19 cases today, Peel Region numbers remain steady